Jul 1, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
So that whole “Derrick Rose doesn’t recruit” thing… not so much.
Taj Gibson, Rose and Joakim Noah — who has been recruiting ‘Melo all along — as well as coach Tom Thibodeau were part of the pitch the Chicago Bulls made to Carmelo Anthony Tuesday, asking him come join them next season, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
After the meeting Anthony hopped on a plane to Texas where he will meet with both the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets.
Thursday Anthony is scheduled to meet with the Lakers in Los Angeles.
Chicago and New York are considered the frontrunners for Anthony — the Knicks because they can offer the most money, it is a city he loves, and they added Phil Jackson to turn things around; the Bulls because if Anthony is willing to take less to win now the team is ready made for him and in the easier Eastern Conference.
Both Houston and Dallas have good teams but need to convince Anthony that he both wants to live there and they are contenders in a deep West. The Lakers are considered a long shot, selling the market, the brand and Kobe Bryant.
No other teams have meetings scheduled (although a few would like to get their foot in the door).
Anthony has said he wants to make his decision next week.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24