Jul 1, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
So that whole “Derrick Rose doesn’t recruit” thing… not so much.
Taj Gibson, Rose and Joakim Noah — who has been recruiting ‘Melo all along — as well as coach Tom Thibodeau were part of the pitch the Chicago Bulls made to Carmelo Anthony Tuesday, asking him come join them next season, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
After the meeting Anthony hopped on a plane to Texas where he will meet with both the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets.
Thursday Anthony is scheduled to meet with the Lakers in Los Angeles.
Chicago and New York are considered the frontrunners for Anthony — the Knicks because they can offer the most money, it is a city he loves, and they added Phil Jackson to turn things around; the Bulls because if Anthony is willing to take less to win now the team is ready made for him and in the easier Eastern Conference.
Both Houston and Dallas have good teams but need to convince Anthony that he both wants to live there and they are contenders in a deep West. The Lakers are considered a long shot, selling the market, the brand and Kobe Bryant.
No other teams have meetings scheduled (although a few would like to get their foot in the door).
Anthony has said he wants to make his decision next week.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 6
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11