Jul 1, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
So that whole “Derrick Rose doesn’t recruit” thing… not so much.
Taj Gibson, Rose and Joakim Noah — who has been recruiting ‘Melo all along — as well as coach Tom Thibodeau were part of the pitch the Chicago Bulls made to Carmelo Anthony Tuesday, asking him come join them next season, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
After the meeting Anthony hopped on a plane to Texas where he will meet with both the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets.
Thursday Anthony is scheduled to meet with the Lakers in Los Angeles.
Chicago and New York are considered the frontrunners for Anthony — the Knicks because they can offer the most money, it is a city he loves, and they added Phil Jackson to turn things around; the Bulls because if Anthony is willing to take less to win now the team is ready made for him and in the easier Eastern Conference.
Both Houston and Dallas have good teams but need to convince Anthony that he both wants to live there and they are contenders in a deep West. The Lakers are considered a long shot, selling the market, the brand and Kobe Bryant.
No other teams have meetings scheduled (although a few would like to get their foot in the door).
Anthony has said he wants to make his decision next week.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6