Trail Blazers, Hawks, Magic have interest in Greg Monroe

Jun 30, 2014, 11:43 PM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Monroe LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Monroe

The Lakers have expressed interest in Greg Monroe, and so did the Pelicans before they traded for Omer Asik.

There will – and should be – plenty of interest in the 24-year-old Pistons big man, who averaged at least 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds per game each of the last three seasons.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

So far, the Trail Blazers’ interest is the only one to take seriously. I believe the Pistons will match any offer for Monroe, so unless a team offers a sign-and-trade, the Pistons wouldn’t let him walk for nothing now.

Portland could offer an intriguing deal centered on Nicolas Batum, who would fit a major need for Detroit. Wesley Matthews and Dorell Wright could form a less-desirable, though still possible, trade. Maybe the Trail Blazers would even offer Robin Lopez, whose minutes would likely be cut with Monroe in the fold. I’d guess Portland would want to keep Lopez for his defense – Monroe and LaMarcus Aldridge would have issues as a pairing – but the Trail Blazers are often offensive-minded.

For Atlanta and Orlando to have a serious chance, they’d probably have to propose sign-and-trades too.

If the Hawks offered Jeff Teague and/or Kyle Korver, the Pistons would at least have to listen. I don’t think that would be enough, but given the immediate fit of those two, it’s at least reasonable.

The Magic certainly wouldn’t trade Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon or Elfrid Payton for Monroe. That leaves them thin on desirable players, though draft picks could always be the centerpiece of a deal. I’d be surprised if Orlando traded a quality first rounder at this stage of their rebuilding, though.

Most likely, Monroe just returns to the Pistons, who could keep exploring trades once he’s under contract.

1. handsomerob86 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM

If the Magic are serious they can offer Stan what he really wants… i.e. to take Josh Smith. Based on the Trades Henigan has been making lately I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded a 1st round pick for Josh….

• campcouch - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:33 AM

I wonder if SVG is holding a grudge against Orlando.

• handsomerob86 - Jul 1, 2014 at 7:37 AM

At this point, probably not that much. The Magic firing him the way they did made him a hot commodity pretty much instantly. I personally was hoping they would keep him, seeing as you could tell by the end of 11-12 that Howard wasn’t gonna stay. I always thought Otis Smith was dumb for signing Rashard Lewis to that super max when no one else had cap space. He needed to be let go, but I did want SVG.

Either way, SVG saw what happened to the Magic after they let him go, and I am sure it was somewhat satisfying, and he doesn’t seem like a grudge type. And now he is in a better situation (Coach and President). So I don’t know that he cares too much about the Magic, I know I wouldn’t if I was doing better like him.

2. cmart0907 - Jul 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I wanted him to go back home to Louisiana with the Pelicans. Monroe and Davis would be a building block going forward.

3. saint1997 - Jul 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I don’t think the Magic should offer anything – I really like their core 5 starters. Hawks as well would seem odd with a super strong 4/5 combo of Millsap and Horford. I like PTB’s offer of Batum, especially if they can pickup Vince in free agency. I LOVE THIS
    TIME OF YEAR!

4. 00maltliquor - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM

None of these make any sense. For either the ballclub or Monroe. No like.

5. themagicfanguy - Jul 1, 2014 at 8:07 AM

@handsome SVG is actually still close with many people in the Magic front office and Orlando area, to his credit he never really held it against management. SVG understood what was going on with Dwight, he’s not a stupid man.

6. eugenesaxe1 - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

LMA/Fropez/Monroe @ 32 minutes/game each would be a damn fine frontcourt. I’d rather lose Matthews, but if it takes Batum, that needs to be considered.

7. wwttww - Jul 2, 2014 at 1:38 AM

3way
    Millsap to Pistons
    Monroe to Blazers
    Batum to Hawks

Everyone’s happy

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches