Spurs keep Austin Daye, make you re-think Austin Daye

Jun 30, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v San Antonio Spurs - Game Two Getty Images

Who am I to question the Spurs’ brain trust of Executive of the Year R.C. Buford and Coach of the Year Gregg Popovich, but I really didn’t understand the Nando de Colo-Austin Daye trade. San Antonio and Toronto swapped the marginal players in February, and I guess I could see Daye making Spurs a little more balanced on the backend of their roster. I guess.

But de Colo had an expiring contract, and $250,000 of Daye’s $1,063,384 2014-15 salary was guaranteed. In the grand scheme, $250,000 was unlikely to matter, but why risk that for practically no on-court gain?

Daye is a poor defender and streaky shooter whose good runs aren’t even that good.

If I didn’t think a $250,000 cap hit was worth it, I really don’t see the point of taking the full $1,063,384 hit to keep Daye. But the Spurs will do just that.

Shams Charania of RealGM:

The San Antonio Spurs will keep forward Austin Daye beyond Monday’s contract guarantee deadline, a league source told RealGM.

Because these are the Spurs, who do everything right, I’m already going to declare myself wrong. They deserve all the benefit of the doubt, and I deserve none.

If I squint really hard, I can see the potential.

Daye made 41 percent of his corner 3s his first two seasons with the Pistons. Bouncing between Detroit, Memphis, Toronto and San Antonio the previous two years, he shot 25 percent from the corner. Maybe the Spurs believe they can repair his shot and train him to use his lengthy wingspan to become a 3-and-D player.

Right now, Daye is neither a 3-nor-D player, but if anyone can salvage his NBA career, it’s the Spurs.

1. clevelandrox - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM

you said it best…you just dont have the vision the spurs have : p

2. phaden27 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Daye is long, athletic, and has a jump shot. He never had a shot when he started in Detroit and he had been trade bait with the Grizz and Toronto. I get the feeling he’ll be like so many other players, (Diaw, Splitter, Mills, Belinelli ) that were counted out and become a solid rotational player with the Spurs.

• balooga999 - Jul 1, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Daye isn’t all that athletic really.

3. stoudemelo - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Austin was a damn good player in college who hasn’t even scratched the surface on his potential. For a 15th man on the roster it’s more than worth it.

4. smoothaswilkes - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Chip Engelland can fix his shot, if anyone can. Defense is about effort in the Spurs system, so 3D isn’t unattainable. Plus, he models more like Diaw light, very light but maybe just as versatile, if everything comes together. Not sure that this is even a story anyway. Two marginal players shouldn’t be getting this much attention, lol.

5. kindasporty - Jul 1, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I always think of Daye as the guy Joe Dumars drafted instead of Ty Lawson. Then I cry a little.

• clevelandrox - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

LOL, well you must go into clinical depression when you think of the Darko pick…

• hdsnake867 - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM

LOLOLOLOLOL

6. breezysmeezy - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Didn’t he average like 1.5 ppg when playing in Russia during lockout?

7. spursareold - Jul 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Word is that they’re adding weight on his frame, and will attempt to morph him into a stretch four. He was at 209 when he arrived, and there have been different reports of 225 or even 230 now. If they can get him up to 230-235, he can guard the Bosh/Ibaka types of faceup fours.

There is no circumstance where he can guard 1-3. He’s just too slow and unathletic. He’s got good handles, and I think they have already been working on his shot, because he dropped 41% overall from three in his limited time in SA.

8. wowwowbad - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM

The Matt Bonner replacement.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches