Jun 30, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Jason Kidd is now the Milwaukee Bucks’ problem.
Kidd made a power play in Brooklyn — he wanted a raise and team president powers and if he didn’t get it he was going to push to move to Milwaukee where he knows one of the owners — and the Nets called his bluff. You want to leave Brooklyn for Milwaukee, go for it.
Kidd and the Bucks owners (without the GM involved at first) reached a deal, and Kidd is now going to coach the Bucks next season. The only question was compensation and the Nets will get two second round picks. Marc Stein of ESPN was first with the deal (it has sense been confirmed by multiple others).
Those are 2015 and 2019 second round picks, according to Charles Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal. The Nets had tried to hold out for a first round pick from the Bucks, but Brooklyn blinked first.
The Nets will move quickly to find a new coach. Lionel Hollins is considered the frontrunner but Mark Jackson and George Karl also are in the mix.
Kidd angered a lot of people in the coaching community (and had a lot of people in front offices turned off as well) by going after a job with a sitting coach in Larry Drew. While Kidd is officially only the coach right now pretty much everyone around the league expects him to have GM/team president powers down the line. It’s in his nature to push for it.
But he’s going to find Milwaukee a very different experience — no real veterans on the roster, not an ownership or market that is going to flaunt the salary cap, and not a market you can easily recruit stars to.
Milwaukee is all about player development — they have drafted Jabari Parker, they have John Henson, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Larry Sanders. There are some nice young pieces there that need to be molded, have their skills and mentality sharpened, to be turned into professionals, and they need to be used in thoughtful schemes that put them in a position to succeed.
Kidd has not shown he can do any of that. He has to now.
PBT Extra: Kidd heads to Milwaukee
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 3
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15