Jun 30, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Jason Kidd is now the Milwaukee Bucks’ problem.
Kidd made a power play in Brooklyn — he wanted a raise and team president powers and if he didn’t get it he was going to push to move to Milwaukee where he knows one of the owners — and the Nets called his bluff. You want to leave Brooklyn for Milwaukee, go for it.
Kidd and the Bucks owners (without the GM involved at first) reached a deal, and Kidd is now going to coach the Bucks next season. The only question was compensation and the Nets will get two second round picks. Marc Stein of ESPN was first with the deal (it has sense been confirmed by multiple others).
ESPN sources say Bucks are sending two second-round picks to Nets to secure coaching rights to Jason Kidd—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 30, 2014
Those are 2015 and 2019 second round picks, according to Charles Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal. The Nets had tried to hold out for a first round pick from the Bucks, but Brooklyn blinked first.
The Nets will move quickly to find a new coach. Lionel Hollins is considered the frontrunner but Mark Jackson and George Karl also are in the mix.
Kidd angered a lot of people in the coaching community (and had a lot of people in front offices turned off as well) by going after a job with a sitting coach in Larry Drew. While Kidd is officially only the coach right now pretty much everyone around the league expects him to have GM/team president powers down the line. It’s in his nature to push for it.
But he’s going to find Milwaukee a very different experience — no real veterans on the roster, not an ownership or market that is going to flaunt the salary cap, and not a market you can easily recruit stars to.
Milwaukee is all about player development — they have drafted Jabari Parker, they have John Henson, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Larry Sanders. There are some nice young pieces there that need to be molded, have their skills and mentality sharpened, to be turned into professionals, and they need to be used in thoughtful schemes that put them in a position to succeed.
Kidd has not shown he can do any of that. He has to now.
PBT Extra: Kidd heads to Milwaukee
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 25
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23