Jun 30, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
And they’re offering a contract that will be extremely difficult for Lowry to reject.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Stein is responding to a number Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports since retracted, so ignore the $14.5 million starting salary. The report is $12 million.
For a bird-rights player like Lowry, his salary can increase or decrease annually by up to 7.5 percent of his first-year salary. That means a deal that starts at $12 million could be worth anywhere between $51 million and $69 million over five years – and any portion of that could be unguaranteed. Knowing the starting salary is an indicator, but it’s not enough to show the true value of the contract.
Soon, we’ll get more clarity on Toronto’s offer. Either way, these are substantial numbers for Lowry.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23