Jun 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors do not want to lose Kyle Lowry — he was their second leading scorer at 17.9 points a game, he dished out 7.4 assists a game, grabbed almost five rebounds, and he did it all very efficiently (true shooting percentage of .567 and a team-high PER of 20.1). Plus he played good defense and his attitude in the locker room was improved (at least for a contract year).
A number of other teams want him for those same reasons — Miami, Houston, the Los Angeles Lakers and others are reportedly targeting him.
So the Raptors are going to make an early run when free agency opens at midnight to head those other teams off, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Of course, this all comes down to money — Toronto is expected to offer more than other teams, in the $12 million a year for four or five years range.
If other teams come in at $10 million would Lowry take less to move stateside (particularly to states with no state taxes such as Florida or Texas.
Lowry has played his way into options, but he’s a good fit on a pretty good team up in Toronto.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13