Jun 30, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
I have been plenty critical of Jason Kidd’s power play with the Nets that has him moving to Milwaukee for a couple of draft picks, but if getting Derek Fisher/Steve Kerr money was part of motivation than mission accomplished.
Howard Beck of Bleacher Report has the details.
Good for Kidd, can’t begrudge a guy getting what he can get. Plus there is a potential win for the Bucks — he is a star name in a market where it can be hard to get star names. Not sure if he can really recruit guys but it doesn’t hurt and it gives the marketing department another name to put on billboards.
But as I’ve said — now he has to prove he can really coach. Not just guide veterans (although it took a while for him to do that well) but develop guys such as Jabari Parker, John Henson, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Larry Sanders. He’s got to hone their skills and put them in systems where they are primed to succeed. It’s very different from the job in free-spending Brooklyn.
Blow this one and Kidd will have a hard time finding another gig after the way he left Brooklyn.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8