Jun 30, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Jason Kidd has screwed himself out of coaching a veteran laden roster in a major market where his past indiscretions were ignored and the owner cares not for Adam Silver’s puny salary cap. It was a good spot for him. Kidd landing spot is to be coach (and eventually maybe more) of a young roster in Milwaukee that has some nice players but is about years of player development. And doing it all on a budget.
However, if Jason Kidd doesn’t want the Nets job George Karl would like it.
He’ll have to stand in line — Lionel Hollins and Mark Jackson are said to be in the mix — but Karl wants to throw his hat in the ring, according to Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
Kidd has not officially been let go. Yet. The Nets and Bucks are working on a compensation package but the Nets want a first rounder and the Bucks already have a coach so they are only offering a second rounder (or two).
However those negotiations shake out it is hard to imagine the Nets bring back Kidd next season. Normally we’d say its uncouth to talk about who is taking the Brooklyn coaching job where another coach is still in that seat, but since that’s exactly what Kidd did to Larry Drew nobody feels too bad.
Karl has 25 years head coaching experience, playing up tempo basketball and leading toe Sonics to the NBA Finals. He most recently was in Denver where his team won 57 games, he was named NBA coach of the Year — then he was promptly fired right after the season.
Whoever is the new coach in Brooklyn hopefully he can get Brook Lopez to blend in with the rest of the offense, because Kidd couldn’t.
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 0
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43