Derrick Rose says he hasn’t decided on playing for Team USA this summer yet

Jun 30, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was all for this — let Derrick Rose shake off some of the rust from a couple seasons of inactivity following knee surgeries with Team USA. Go to the team tryouts this summer starting in Las Vegas in the end of July, get in a little run with the best in the world, and even if he decides (or the coaches decide) that going to Spain for the World Cup is not in the cards, he gets to test himself. Then he can hit the ground fully running come training camp.

Except Derrick Rose isn’t so sure about that.

He told Marc Spears of Yahoo he’s still deciding about that.

“I still don’t know yet,” Rose told Yahoo Sports at the Drew Gooden Foundation Basketball Camp on Sunday. “If I’m feeling right and the time is [right], for sure I will go out there. My body is responding good, but you never know.

“Right now, I haven’t really thought about that. I am just worrying about just trying to get back every day and I’m really taking rehab one day at a time instead of trying to think about competing.”

This is who Rose is. He doesn’t look ahead, tries to think day-to-day and wants to be 100 percent so he can go all out.

(It ties into his “I won’t recruit guys including Carmelo Anthony” thing — he’s loyal to the guys in the locker room and if someone wants to come there they should want to do it so badly they don’t need a teammate kissing their… you know.)

I still expect Rose will give it a shot this summer. Whether he decides to go all the way to Spain with the team will depend on how he feels (and plays), but I expect when camp opens in Las Vegas at the end of July he will be there.

1. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

This guy has to be so shook to get on a court and rightfully so…..

2. rajbais - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM

He should if he’s healthy, but request for less playing time.

He needs to be in NBA game shape and Team USA can help him.

3. ncarolinarn7 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Who cares?? He stays injured.

4. patfic5 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Geez. This guy.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM

No kidding.

5. robigd - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Glad I am not a Bulls fan. This guy would drive me insane.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Me too. I am not a fan of this guy – I think he’s mentally weak and he’s just flat out strange. He could have played last year around the all-star break after the doctors cleared him, but he was having “muscle memory” problems (who in the hell has ever heard of that before Rose said it?!?). He doesn’t want to recruit players to help his team win. Now, he’s fully healthy again and he doesn’t want to play for his country (while rounding into good playing shape before the NBA season). If LeBron pulled any of this crap, there would be a 1000 posts on the story about how LeBron doesn’t have the killer instinct or some BS like that.

• loungefly74 - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM

yup yup. that ship has sailed.

6. chicitybulls - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I think he’ll be at camp ready to go.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM

ready to go to rehab that is…

AND I’m a BULLS fan since the mid 70’s…

He’s a good kid…

but with ANYTHING in life, games are played… 16 in the NFL, 162 in baseball and 82 in NBA…

Games ARE played and the reason a player does NOT play doesn’t matter.

Can’t produce if you’re not in the game.

Life is cruel that way.

Julie Jones played 5 games last yr for the Falcons. He’s a beast but don’t have to worry about covering him when he’s on the sidelines…

Bryce Harper missed more than 25% of Nats games LAST season and he’ll miss a minimum of like 35% of their games this season and that’s if he plays EVERY remaining game…

The Bulls, D Rose, the fans will NEVER get those games missed back that D Rose wasn’t able to suit up.

At some point you prefer a hitter who has an OPS of .814% who plays in 160 games to a player who has an OPS of .854% but only plays in like 104 games…

I really like the kid, D Rose… but no one can produce who doesn’t play…

• chicitybulls - Jul 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM

First off I’d like to say Wow. With fans like you who needs enemies? One certainly can’t tell that you “like the kid” based on all of the comments I’ve read from you about him. No, the Bulls, their fans and most importantly Rose will not get those games back and nobody probably feels worse about that fact than Rose himself. No offense to you, but you kind of sound a little like a young fan (i.e. child) with a lot of your comments. Obviously that’s not the case since you’ve been a fan about as long as I’ve been alive so you should know that injuries are a part of the game. All any fan, in my opinion, can do is wish their player back to full health and hope for the best. What a fan doesn’t do is berate their player and basically call his career over with. Everybody heels differently (you should know this) so no one knows what will happen. All fans can do is wish him well and hope he comes back fully healthy and stays that way.

7. mnsadsportsfan - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

How on earth is he not just shutting down playing anything other that NBA basketball? I guess it does not mater weather he blows out a knee for team usa or the bulls.

8. jzone954 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Get well Mr Rose, before you went down it was fun watching you play.

9. c2poke88 - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I’m glad more people are finally waking up to the fact that Rose is not a player worthy of their respect. He notion that he had more loyalty and heart than Lebron was a joke! Rose is a diva who is a legend in his own mind. He chose not to play due to “muscle memory” issues (WTF?!?) when he was medically cleared in 2013. He refuses to help the Bulls recruit players, even when it’s a superstar player like Melo who could help them win a title. Being “gifted” an MVP he didn’t deserve was the worst thing that could have happened to Rose. There wasn’t a single statistical case anyone could make to justify Rose being awarded the MVP. But he got it. And since he was given that award, his inner diva has been on full display. He will prove to be the worst MVP award winner in NBA history. 20 years from now, whenever they discuss the most undeserving MVP winners of all-time, Rose will be at the top of the list.

• chiadam - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Hi.

– Steve Nash (back to back, no less)

• c2poke88 - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Don’t even try to compare Rose to Nash, man. His 1st MVP season, Nash was the leader of the best offense in the NBA, he was #1 in the NBA in asts/gm, #1 in ast/to ratio, and he barely missed 50/40/90 (50/43/89). He did the same thing the following season, while accomplishing the extremely rare 50/40/90 feat (51/44/92). Trust me. Nash was 10 times more deserving as a MVP than Rose was.

10. lawrinson20 - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM

“Olympics? That’s not my job.”
    — Derrick Rose

11. football58 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I thought team USA was for the Elite of the NBA. Why is Rose even mentioned?

12. c2poke88 - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Didn’t Rose admit that he recruited Kirk Hinrich? If recruiting isn’t his job, why did he do it then? It seems to me that what Rose is really saying is that he does not consider it his job to recruit a player that is BETTER than him. Rose is trying to protect his #1 status with the Bulls. Apparently, that’s more important to him than winning a title. smdh

13. saint1997 - Jul 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Remember how much team USA helped Melo’s game after the Olympics?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches