Jun 30, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was all for this — let Derrick Rose shake off some of the rust from a couple seasons of inactivity following knee surgeries with Team USA. Go to the team tryouts this summer starting in Las Vegas in the end of July, get in a little run with the best in the world, and even if he decides (or the coaches decide) that going to Spain for the World Cup is not in the cards, he gets to test himself. Then he can hit the ground fully running come training camp.
Except Derrick Rose isn’t so sure about that.
“I still don’t know yet,” Rose told Yahoo Sports at the Drew Gooden Foundation Basketball Camp on Sunday. “If I’m feeling right and the time is [right], for sure I will go out there. My body is responding good, but you never know.
“Right now, I haven’t really thought about that. I am just worrying about just trying to get back every day and I’m really taking rehab one day at a time instead of trying to think about competing.”
This is who Rose is. He doesn’t look ahead, tries to think day-to-day and wants to be 100 percent so he can go all out.
(It ties into his “I won’t recruit guys including Carmelo Anthony” thing — he’s loyal to the guys in the locker room and if someone wants to come there they should want to do it so badly they don’t need a teammate kissing their… you know.)
I still expect Rose will give it a shot this summer. Whether he decides to go all the way to Spain with the team will depend on how he feels (and plays), but I expect when camp opens in Las Vegas at the end of July he will be there.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31