Damian Lillard’s desired free agent targets: Mo Williams, Channing Frye, Vince Carter, Spencer Hawes, Trevor Ariza
Jun 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No NBA player wields the power of LeBron. Seriously, I wonder whether Pat Riley needed any scouting beyond LeBron’s tweet to get Napier. When the King asks implies, especially when he’s headed into free agency, you listen.
I’m not sure whether the guard is doing that here or just being a 23-year-old with an opinion.
Either way, Lillard is making his preferences known.
Sunday night when CSNNW.com asked All-Star point guard Damian Lillard if there are any free agents of his preference, first and foremost, he went with his dynamic backup.
“Yeah…Mo Williams,” Lillard responded in a text.”
When pressed for other players he’d like the team to bring in or at least look at, Lillard sent a response text that included four names.
Carter is “open” to the idea of coming to Portland and helping boost the bench up, we’re told by someone close to the veteran guard.
The Trail Blazers will have the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($5,305,000) and bi-annual exception ($2,077,000) to spend on free agents. Everyone Lillard mentioned is likely to receive offers in the MLE range.
They’re also all quality shooters who would accentuate Portland’s offensive firepower. Either Lillard is taking responsibility for elevating the Trail Blazers’ defense himself, or he’s still not thinking enough about that end.
Williams gave Portland’s bench some life last season following a year of historic ineptness. It’d make sense to bring him back, but Portland would be wise to pay the declining 31-year-old based on what he’ll do during his next contract, not what he did last year.
If the Trail Blazers pay Williams more than $3,325,608 next season, they’ll have to use the mid-level exception to re-sign him. Otherwise, they can use the non-bird exception and save the MLE for someone else. As Lillard points out, there are plenty of quality options available.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32