Jun 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Jason Kidd may or may not have had the final say on this, but Bucks forward Ekpe Udoh won’t get his $5,962,377 qualifying offer.
The Milwaukee Bucks declined to give forward Ekpe Udoh a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent, sources told Yahoo Sports.
Udoh is a victim of his own success in the pre-draft circuit. He went No. 6 in 2010, much higher than most expected. Had he gone in his expected late-lottery range, his qualifying offer would have been lower, and he might have received it.
Now, Udoh is fighting for his NBA life.
He was a plus-minus darling with the Warriors before being traded with Monta Ellis for Andrew Bogut, but Udoh’s struggles to produce consistently in Milwaukee indicate his Golden State success was a product of circumstance. Some team might sign him and give him a limited role, but at 27, he’s running out of upside.
Udoh’s defensive tools will get him looks, but his minus rebounding and lack of refined offensive skills will give teams pause.
I expect Udoh will get another contract this summer. I’m not certain of that, though.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48