Jun 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
That means Kidd will need to be replaced as head coach, and rather than go with a first-timer once again, Brooklyn appears to be considering candidates with far more experience.
Sources told ESPN.com on Saturday night that the name of former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has come up internally as a potential candidate to replace Kidd if he indeed leaves the Nets. Jackson was ousted by the Warriors in May after his own flap with ownership, and he famously defended Kidd’s decision to demote highly paid lead assistant Lawrence Frank. …
In addition, NBA coaching sources say the Nets are interested in veterans Lionel Hollins and George Karl, another ESPN analyst.
Jackson would be an interesting choice, considering the fact that he didn’t exactly leave the Warriors under the most favorable of circumstances. He was successful on the sidelines as a coach, but a rocky relationship with management and ownership ultimately caused the team to go in another direction.
Hollins similarly clashed with management in his last position, and was let go after leading the Grizzlies to the Western Conference Finals in what was the most successful season in franchise history.
Karl was axed in Denver after having a difference of opinion on how he should be distributing minutes, among other things, and didn’t want to enter the final year of his contract without getting an extension — one that was earned, frankly, but that management was hesitant to give.
There are no easy choices here for the Nets. These candidates are all fine head coaches, but come with their own set of relative baggage — probably not as much as there was with Kidd, but enough to be cautious nonetheless.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4