Jun 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
That means Kidd will need to be replaced as head coach, and rather than go with a first-timer once again, Brooklyn appears to be considering candidates with far more experience.
Sources told ESPN.com on Saturday night that the name of former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has come up internally as a potential candidate to replace Kidd if he indeed leaves the Nets. Jackson was ousted by the Warriors in May after his own flap with ownership, and he famously defended Kidd’s decision to demote highly paid lead assistant Lawrence Frank. …
In addition, NBA coaching sources say the Nets are interested in veterans Lionel Hollins and George Karl, another ESPN analyst.
Jackson would be an interesting choice, considering the fact that he didn’t exactly leave the Warriors under the most favorable of circumstances. He was successful on the sidelines as a coach, but a rocky relationship with management and ownership ultimately caused the team to go in another direction.
Hollins similarly clashed with management in his last position, and was let go after leading the Grizzlies to the Western Conference Finals in what was the most successful season in franchise history.
Karl was axed in Denver after having a difference of opinion on how he should be distributing minutes, among other things, and didn’t want to enter the final year of his contract without getting an extension — one that was earned, frankly, but that management was hesitant to give.
There are no easy choices here for the Nets. These candidates are all fine head coaches, but come with their own set of relative baggage — probably not as much as there was with Kidd, but enough to be cautious nonetheless.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 6
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44