Jun 28, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Phil Jackson has worked hard at establishing a relationship with Carmelo Anthony.
Jackson already has a relationship with free agent Pau Gasol, whom the Lakers traded for when Jackson was the coach and they went on to win two titles together.
The Knicks are banking on Phil’s relationship to keep Antony in blue and orange. So how about this leap: Gasol signs with the Knicks as part of a plan to help keep Anthony and in sooner? It’s a ridiculous long shot but the Knicks are thinking about it, reports Marc Stein at ESPNNewYork.com.
Sources told ESPN.com that Knicks officials, while not willing to trumpet it publicly with free agency fast approaching, are quietly confident about their odds of retaining Anthony thanks in part to the idea that new team president Phil Jackson and the high-scoring forward have “connected” to some degree.
Furthermore, one source close to the process told ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne that Jackson is planning to make a determined attempt to try to recruit his former Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol to replace the freshly traded Tyson Chandler alongside Anthony on the Knicks’ front line, despite the fact New York is limited to offering Gasol less than $4 million for next season.
Anthony may or may not choose a return to New York, I don’t think he knows the answer to that yet. However, there are a multitude of reasons I don’t think Gasol to the Knicks happens. Here are a two key ones:
• Pau Gasol is going to get offered more than $4 million from other teams, a lot more, and he is not going to go to New York at a step discount. (There is a sign-and-trade option but the Knicks don’t have a lot of assets they would give up that the Lakers would want.)
• Anthony wants to win now and the Knicks, even if he comes back and they add Gasol, are not the best team in the East (let alone able to beat the best of the West). It’s going to be a process in New York. Anthony may choose to be the face of that process (and get paid handsomely) but Gasol isn’t as patient.
Gasol is going to be in the second tier of free agents, when teams that had dreams of Anthony (and maybe LeBron James) strike out Gasol will be one of the names they turn to. He will have options.
Gasol also struggled the last season and a half, looking old fast, but to me a lot of that is on Mike D’Antoni. Gasol is not a stretch four but the system coach that is D’Antoni does not easily adapt his system and that led to clashes with Gasol. It sucked the joy out of the game for Gasol. Look for a bounce back year from him — Gasol will represent Spain on its home soil in the World Cup, where he will rediscover his passion for the game, then next season he will play for a coach that uses him more wisely.
That is the one thing Phil Jackson knows how to do with Gasol. It’s just not enough to get him to the Knicks.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
That would be good news for the Spurs and bad news for the rest of the Western Conference.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Noah spent most of last season limited by knee surgery.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
His $4.7 million salary for next season is unguaranteed.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Paul is still in the running for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will this lead to all 30 teams getting their own affiliates?
Aug 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Team Africa faced off against Team World in Johannesburg.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Mbah a Moute signed a one-year deal with the Kings in July.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Biyombo has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer on post moves, other parts of his game.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Nets will be paying the price for their win-now era for a few years to come still.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT
This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT
He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Norris Cole is still looking for a bigger payday.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Her credentials are unassailable.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
He is currently out on bond.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Hill told the police he was “in a hurry.” I guess so.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Jul 31, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Crabbe looked good in Las Vegas at Summer League.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff
Jul 31, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Will he accept the required tender?
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14