Jun 28, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Phil Jackson has worked hard at establishing a relationship with Carmelo Anthony.
Jackson already has a relationship with free agent Pau Gasol, whom the Lakers traded for when Jackson was the coach and they went on to win two titles together.
The Knicks are banking on Phil’s relationship to keep Antony in blue and orange. So how about this leap: Gasol signs with the Knicks as part of a plan to help keep Anthony and in sooner? It’s a ridiculous long shot but the Knicks are thinking about it, reports Marc Stein at ESPNNewYork.com.
Sources told ESPN.com that Knicks officials, while not willing to trumpet it publicly with free agency fast approaching, are quietly confident about their odds of retaining Anthony thanks in part to the idea that new team president Phil Jackson and the high-scoring forward have “connected” to some degree.
Furthermore, one source close to the process told ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne that Jackson is planning to make a determined attempt to try to recruit his former Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol to replace the freshly traded Tyson Chandler alongside Anthony on the Knicks’ front line, despite the fact New York is limited to offering Gasol less than $4 million for next season.
Anthony may or may not choose a return to New York, I don’t think he knows the answer to that yet. However, there are a multitude of reasons I don’t think Gasol to the Knicks happens. Here are a two key ones:
• Pau Gasol is going to get offered more than $4 million from other teams, a lot more, and he is not going to go to New York at a step discount. (There is a sign-and-trade option but the Knicks don’t have a lot of assets they would give up that the Lakers would want.)
• Anthony wants to win now and the Knicks, even if he comes back and they add Gasol, are not the best team in the East (let alone able to beat the best of the West). It’s going to be a process in New York. Anthony may choose to be the face of that process (and get paid handsomely) but Gasol isn’t as patient.
Gasol is going to be in the second tier of free agents, when teams that had dreams of Anthony (and maybe LeBron James) strike out Gasol will be one of the names they turn to. He will have options.
Gasol also struggled the last season and a half, looking old fast, but to me a lot of that is on Mike D’Antoni. Gasol is not a stretch four but the system coach that is D’Antoni does not easily adapt his system and that led to clashes with Gasol. It sucked the joy out of the game for Gasol. Look for a bounce back year from him — Gasol will represent Spain on its home soil in the World Cup, where he will rediscover his passion for the game, then next season he will play for a coach that uses him more wisely.
That is the one thing Phil Jackson knows how to do with Gasol. It’s just not enough to get him to the Knicks.
May 7, 2015, 3:10 AM EDT
Harden had five shots within eight feet of the rim and 10 three attempts, while just two shot attempts were from the midrange.
May 7, 2015, 1:31 AM EDT
The Rockets had 64 free throw attempts in what was not always a pretty game.
May 7, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal wipes out hard during TNT halftime show
May 6, 2015, 11:11 PM EDT
Team now has to find use for 20,000 unused slings
May 6, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Cavaliers produce a “30 for 30 seconds”
May 6, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
James scored 33 points to send the Cavs back to Chicago tied 1-1.
May 6, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
I still think he stays at least one more year.
May 6, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT
Doc Rivers unsure whether Clippers point guard will be ready for Game 3
May 6, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Good choice by voters
May 6, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Does he no longer want to look like his teammates?
May 6, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Ernie Johnson is the best.
May 6, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Golden State was 7-of-23 on uncontested looks.
May 6, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Will Dumars be the one deciding the future path of the Pelicans? Should he be?
May 6, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
He also went through a high-tech training program this summer. And re-worked his jump shot.
May 6, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
This gets LeBron back to playing the three, where he’s been most dangerous all season.
Dirk Nowitzki explains Mavericks not giving Rajon Rondo a playoff share, says ‘I think that got blown out of proportion’
May 6, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Rondo was a disaster with the Mavericks, and the team seemed to give him one last kick on his way out.
May 6, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents, and retirement remains a real possibility for each.
May 6, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
You can ask “what should David Blatt do?” but it’s not like he’s hiding some great player on the bench, the guys there need to step up.
May 6, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Clippers won Game 1 on the road with Paul out of the lineup.
Thunder GM refutes report he didn’t consult Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook before hiring Billy Donovan as coach
May 6, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Discussing the move with Durant and Westbrook was the team’s only option.
- Down 13 Rockets finally play with desperation, come back to beat Clippers, even series 1-1 3
- LeBron’s big night helps Cavs recover to tie series with Bulls 11
- Chris Paul out Game 2 against Rockets 1
- Report: Bulls’ Jimmy Butler wins Most Improved Player 5
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 4
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 7
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 19
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4