Jun 28, 2014, 2:04 AM EST
Phil Jackson has worked hard at establishing a relationship with Carmelo Anthony.
Jackson already has a relationship with free agent Pau Gasol, whom the Lakers traded for when Jackson was the coach and they went on to win two titles together.
The Knicks are banking on Phil’s relationship to keep Antony in blue and orange. So how about this leap: Gasol signs with the Knicks as part of a plan to help keep Anthony and in sooner? It’s a ridiculous long shot but the Knicks are thinking about it, reports Marc Stein at ESPNNewYork.com.
Sources told ESPN.com that Knicks officials, while not willing to trumpet it publicly with free agency fast approaching, are quietly confident about their odds of retaining Anthony thanks in part to the idea that new team president Phil Jackson and the high-scoring forward have “connected” to some degree.
Furthermore, one source close to the process told ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne that Jackson is planning to make a determined attempt to try to recruit his former Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol to replace the freshly traded Tyson Chandler alongside Anthony on the Knicks’ front line, despite the fact New York is limited to offering Gasol less than $4 million for next season.
Anthony may or may not choose a return to New York, I don’t think he knows the answer to that yet. However, there are a multitude of reasons I don’t think Gasol to the Knicks happens. Here are a two key ones:
• Pau Gasol is going to get offered more than $4 million from other teams, a lot more, and he is not going to go to New York at a step discount. (There is a sign-and-trade option but the Knicks don’t have a lot of assets they would give up that the Lakers would want.)
• Anthony wants to win now and the Knicks, even if he comes back and they add Gasol, are not the best team in the East (let alone able to beat the best of the West). It’s going to be a process in New York. Anthony may choose to be the face of that process (and get paid handsomely) but Gasol isn’t as patient.
Gasol is going to be in the second tier of free agents, when teams that had dreams of Anthony (and maybe LeBron James) strike out Gasol will be one of the names they turn to. He will have options.
Gasol also struggled the last season and a half, looking old fast, but to me a lot of that is on Mike D’Antoni. Gasol is not a stretch four but the system coach that is D’Antoni does not easily adapt his system and that led to clashes with Gasol. It sucked the joy out of the game for Gasol. Look for a bounce back year from him — Gasol will represent Spain on its home soil in the World Cup, where he will rediscover his passion for the game, then next season he will play for a coach that uses him more wisely.
That is the one thing Phil Jackson knows how to do with Gasol. It’s just not enough to get him to the Knicks.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
The Cavs beat the Grizzlies in Cleveland.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Of course he said he’d consider the Knicks, it’s just smart business.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Rose has been there before.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The very public meeting with Jackson was leverage to help get Karl to lower his asking price.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Stevens dismisses rumors of Indiana University.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Knicks guard will be reevaluated in two weeks.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
Knee injuries have robbed us of the good Gallinari.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Everything went wrong for Sanders and the Bucks last year.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Why else would trade rumors surface 20 games or so into his first season in Charlotte?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
The Thunder are right to be cautious here.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The Bucks went heavy with Brandon Knight at the end of the game. That went about as well as you’d expect.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:46 AM EST
Nine assists but shot 3-of-11.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:16 AM EST
He can do better.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
An expletive was added for emphasis.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
No contact on the perimeter, yea he’s up for that.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The Christmas Day slate of games is (mostly) stellar.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8