Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
When the Toronto Raptors drafted Bruno Caboclo of Brazil at No. 20 Thursday night, even those of us fairly well prepared for the draft said “who?” Apparently a few teams had their eye on him for the second round but this was a pick only seasoned international scouts knew, nobody else. It was like a throwback to the early Internet days when the draft was mysterious.
Well, some of that mystery is going away this summer — Caboclo will be playing with the Raptors at Summer League, reports Eric Koreen of the National Post.
He will also take part in the Las Vegas Summer League in July, and will head to Los Angeles before that to work out with several of the Raptors, as well as assistant coach Jesse Murmuys. He will be on the roster next year.
Caboclo is not a draft-and-stash, apparently. What everyone does know is he’s a long-term project. That includes the Raptors.
What else do we know? DraftExpress put together a video scouting report on him and say that his big strength is his athleticism — he’s big and long but runs the floor and can finish and play way above the rim — plus while his mechanics look odd and his release is slow he does knock down threes and seems to be a real threat as a shooter. That athleticism also makes him a potentially very good defender.
All that said he is very raw. He needs to fill out physically, he needs to play more just to get a feel for the game, he needs to improve his handles.
Basically, there is a ton of potential, but at this stage it’s tough to say how that develops (a lot of that now falls on the Raptors staff).
We’ll have more after we at PBT get to see him in person in Las Vegas.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 10
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6