Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
When the Toronto Raptors drafted Bruno Caboclo of Brazil at No. 20 Thursday night, even those of us fairly well prepared for the draft said “who?” Apparently a few teams had their eye on him for the second round but this was a pick only seasoned international scouts knew, nobody else. It was like a throwback to the early Internet days when the draft was mysterious.
Well, some of that mystery is going away this summer — Caboclo will be playing with the Raptors at Summer League, reports Eric Koreen of the National Post.
He will also take part in the Las Vegas Summer League in July, and will head to Los Angeles before that to work out with several of the Raptors, as well as assistant coach Jesse Murmuys. He will be on the roster next year.
Caboclo is not a draft-and-stash, apparently. What everyone does know is he’s a long-term project. That includes the Raptors.
Ujiri: “He’s a few years away. He’s a talent that I think at the end of the day we will be happy that we picked.”—
Eric Koreen (@ekoreen) June 27, 2014
What else do we know? DraftExpress put together a video scouting report on him and say that his big strength is his athleticism — he’s big and long but runs the floor and can finish and play way above the rim — plus while his mechanics look odd and his release is slow he does knock down threes and seems to be a real threat as a shooter. That athleticism also makes him a potentially very good defender.
All that said he is very raw. He needs to fill out physically, he needs to play more just to get a feel for the game, he needs to improve his handles.
Basically, there is a ton of potential, but at this stage it’s tough to say how that develops (a lot of that now falls on the Raptors staff).
We’ll have more after we at PBT get to see him in person in Las Vegas.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6