Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
When the Toronto Raptors drafted Bruno Caboclo of Brazil at No. 20 Thursday night, even those of us fairly well prepared for the draft said “who?” Apparently a few teams had their eye on him for the second round but this was a pick only seasoned international scouts knew, nobody else. It was like a throwback to the early Internet days when the draft was mysterious.
Well, some of that mystery is going away this summer — Caboclo will be playing with the Raptors at Summer League, reports Eric Koreen of the National Post.
He will also take part in the Las Vegas Summer League in July, and will head to Los Angeles before that to work out with several of the Raptors, as well as assistant coach Jesse Murmuys. He will be on the roster next year.
Caboclo is not a draft-and-stash, apparently. What everyone does know is he’s a long-term project. That includes the Raptors.
What else do we know? DraftExpress put together a video scouting report on him and say that his big strength is his athleticism — he’s big and long but runs the floor and can finish and play way above the rim — plus while his mechanics look odd and his release is slow he does knock down threes and seems to be a real threat as a shooter. That athleticism also makes him a potentially very good defender.
All that said he is very raw. He needs to fill out physically, he needs to play more just to get a feel for the game, he needs to improve his handles.
Basically, there is a ton of potential, but at this stage it’s tough to say how that develops (a lot of that now falls on the Raptors staff).
We’ll have more after we at PBT get to see him in person in Las Vegas.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4