Jun 27, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
The negotiations worked.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Really, this works well for both sides.
Randolph’s 2014-15 cap hit remains $16,938,333, but the Grizzlies wouldn’t have had cap room this summer even if Randolph had opted out and re-signed with the same salary spread equally over three years.
Randolph will be 35 when this contract ends, and he’s more reliant on athleticism than both believe. By the end of the deal, the power forward could be significantly overpaid.
But he values loyalty, and with this extension, the Grizzlies proved they share the same mindset. This not only keeps Randolph in Memphis, it makes it easier for the Grizzlies to keep Gasol and Conley too.
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 0
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 4
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8