Jun 27, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The negotiations worked.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Really, this works well for both sides.
Randolph’s 2014-15 cap hit remains $16,938,333, but the Grizzlies wouldn’t have had cap room this summer even if Randolph had opted out and re-signed with the same salary spread equally over three years.
Randolph will be 35 when this contract ends, and he’s more reliant on athleticism than both believe. By the end of the deal, the power forward could be significantly overpaid.
But he values loyalty, and with this extension, the Grizzlies proved they share the same mindset. This not only keeps Randolph in Memphis, it makes it easier for the Grizzlies to keep Gasol and Conley too.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3