Jun 27, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The negotiations worked.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Really, this works well for both sides.
Randolph’s 2014-15 cap hit remains $16,938,333, but the Grizzlies wouldn’t have had cap room this summer even if Randolph had opted out and re-signed with the same salary spread equally over three years.
Randolph will be 35 when this contract ends, and he’s more reliant on athleticism than both believe. By the end of the deal, the power forward could be significantly overpaid.
But he values loyalty, and with this extension, the Grizzlies proved they share the same mindset. This not only keeps Randolph in Memphis, it makes it easier for the Grizzlies to keep Gasol and Conley too.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 15
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23