Jun 27, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The negotiations worked.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
After exercising his $16.5M player option for 2014-'15, Zach Randolph has agreed to 2-year, $20M extension with Memphis, sources tell Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 27, 2014
Really, this works well for both sides.
Randolph’s 2014-15 cap hit remains $16,938,333, but the Grizzlies wouldn’t have had cap room this summer even if Randolph had opted out and re-signed with the same salary spread equally over three years.
Randolph will be 35 when this contract ends, and he’s more reliant on athleticism than both believe. By the end of the deal, the power forward could be significantly overpaid.
But he values loyalty, and with this extension, the Grizzlies proved they share the same mindset. This not only keeps Randolph in Memphis, it makes it easier for the Grizzlies to keep Gasol and Conley too.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 27
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 34
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42