Jun 27, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
This is not good.
Webster, who had two back surgeries earlier in his career in Minnesota, injured himself working out at the Verizon Center and underwent another surgery on Friday, reports J. Michael of CSNWashington.com.
The back issues continue for Martell Webster, who had surgery Friday to repair a herniated disk in his lower back that will keep him out 3-5 months before resuming basketball activities, the team announced….
He won’t be able to start the season and likely won’t be able to play until mid-season at the earliest.
The Wizards pictured Webster as part of their future and so before last season signed him to a four-year, $22 million contract (the last year of that is not fully guaranteed). But as the Wizards started to find their footing as a team last season Webster’s role shrunk. Trevor Ariza got the starting job (with good reason) and Webster struggled to adjust to being a sixth man. Combine that with a lot of nagging injuries and Webster had an off year.
Now he’s going to have to jump into the middle of the next one.
Ariza is a free agent and the Wizards now really need to bring him back in the fold.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24