Jun 27, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Repeatedly, we heard about the 76ers’ desire to trade up to No. 1.
Philadelphia seemed motivated.
But was it all a smokescreen?
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
As it turns out, Philadelphia never made a run at Cleveland's No. 1 overall pick, league sources tell Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 27, 2014
Does this also mean the 76ers’ infatuation with Wiggins was also a misdirection? They weren’t getting him at No. 3, where they ultimately took Joel Embiid.
I’m not totally convinced Philadelphia never made a play for the top pick.
Wojnarowski has been around a long time and is reliable as they come, but that doesn’t change that it’s logically impossible to prove something didn’t happen. This really comes to how much you trust that Wojnarowski trusts his anonymous source.
Anyone in position to know might just be pushing an agenda. After all, that’s what Wojnarowski is essentially saying other reporters’ sources did.
Maybe the Cavaliers want to protect themselves from criticism for passing on a trade if Andrew Wiggins busts. Maybe the 76ers want to avoid criticism for failing to complete their trade objective. There is definitely potential for either team to steer the narrative the direction Wojnarowski has taken it.
Without a name on the source to judge his or her intent, it’s difficult to fully trust this – especially because logic precludes Wojnarowski himself from doing anything more than trusting his source. There’s just no way for anyone to verify it.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 4
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20