Jun 27, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Repeatedly, we heard about the 76ers’ desire to trade up to No. 1.
Philadelphia seemed motivated.
But was it all a smokescreen?
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
As it turns out, Philadelphia never made a run at Cleveland's No. 1 overall pick, league sources tell Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 27, 2014
Does this also mean the 76ers’ infatuation with Wiggins was also a misdirection? They weren’t getting him at No. 3, where they ultimately took Joel Embiid.
I’m not totally convinced Philadelphia never made a play for the top pick.
Wojnarowski has been around a long time and is reliable as they come, but that doesn’t change that it’s logically impossible to prove something didn’t happen. This really comes to how much you trust that Wojnarowski trusts his anonymous source.
Anyone in position to know might just be pushing an agenda. After all, that’s what Wojnarowski is essentially saying other reporters’ sources did.
Maybe the Cavaliers want to protect themselves from criticism for passing on a trade if Andrew Wiggins busts. Maybe the 76ers want to avoid criticism for failing to complete their trade objective. There is definitely potential for either team to steer the narrative the direction Wojnarowski has taken it.
Without a name on the source to judge his or her intent, it’s difficult to fully trust this – especially because logic precludes Wojnarowski himself from doing anything more than trusting his source. There’s just no way for anyone to verify it.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 47
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61