Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Jackson is making sure nobody – Melo especially – forgets he says that as the star enters free agency.
Jackson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship.
I’m not sure how well that will go over. I know Jackson doesn’t precisely say this, but it’s almost as if he’s implying leaving the Knicks would make Melo a liar.
That might be a good way to rally the fanbase if Melo departs, but it’s probably not the best way to persuade Melo to stay.
I’m sure Melo wants to be in New York. On some levels, he probably wants to be in Dallas, Houston and Chicago, too.
He can pick only one team, though.
If he’s, as Jackson said, true to his word and “wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship,” it probably won’t be the Knicks.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 4
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 23
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17