Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Jackson is making sure nobody – Melo especially – forgets he says that as the star enters free agency.
Jackson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship.
I’m not sure how well that will go over. I know Jackson doesn’t precisely say this, but it’s almost as if he’s implying leaving the Knicks would make Melo a liar.
That might be a good way to rally the fanbase if Melo departs, but it’s probably not the best way to persuade Melo to stay.
I’m sure Melo wants to be in New York. On some levels, he probably wants to be in Dallas, Houston and Chicago, too.
He can pick only one team, though.
If he’s, as Jackson said, true to his word and “wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship,” it probably won’t be the Knicks.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 51
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 31