Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Jackson is making sure nobody – Melo especially – forgets he says that as the star enters free agency.
Jackson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship.
I’m not sure how well that will go over. I know Jackson doesn’t precisely say this, but it’s almost as if he’s implying leaving the Knicks would make Melo a liar.
That might be a good way to rally the fanbase if Melo departs, but it’s probably not the best way to persuade Melo to stay.
I’m sure Melo wants to be in New York. On some levels, he probably wants to be in Dallas, Houston and Chicago, too.
He can pick only one team, though.
If he’s, as Jackson said, true to his word and “wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship,” it probably won’t be the Knicks.
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 1
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 20
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 10