Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Jackson is making sure nobody – Melo especially – forgets he says that as the star enters free agency.
Jackson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship.
I’m not sure how well that will go over. I know Jackson doesn’t precisely say this, but it’s almost as if he’s implying leaving the Knicks would make Melo a liar.
That might be a good way to rally the fanbase if Melo departs, but it’s probably not the best way to persuade Melo to stay.
I’m sure Melo wants to be in New York. On some levels, he probably wants to be in Dallas, Houston and Chicago, too.
He can pick only one team, though.
If he’s, as Jackson said, true to his word and “wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship,” it probably won’t be the Knicks.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37