Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Jackson is making sure nobody – Melo especially – forgets he says that as the star enters free agency.
Jackson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship.
I’m not sure how well that will go over. I know Jackson doesn’t precisely say this, but it’s almost as if he’s implying leaving the Knicks would make Melo a liar.
That might be a good way to rally the fanbase if Melo departs, but it’s probably not the best way to persuade Melo to stay.
I’m sure Melo wants to be in New York. On some levels, he probably wants to be in Dallas, Houston and Chicago, too.
He can pick only one team, though.
If he’s, as Jackson said, true to his word and “wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship,” it probably won’t be the Knicks.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 8
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 83
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4