Jun 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Pat Riley said late Thursday night in Miami — after his Heat had traded up to get UConn point guard Shabazz Napier in the draft — that he went after Napier because he liked Napier’s game. Because he’s competitive and a “winner.”
Nope. Not one bit. Why would you even think that?
Still, LeBron was pretty pumped about the selection.
Nobody thinks Napier is the answer to Miami’s roster issues, certainly not Riley or Lebron. Fixing Miami starts with Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade opting out and taking less money. They have until Monday to make that announcement.
But in the short term, the Heat just a guy who looks like he should be a good backup point guard. That’s a start.
And by the way, LeBron likes him.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 6
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 12
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36