Jun 27, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It’s all about the money. The paper. The Benjamins. How many bands are we talking?
Lance Stephenson is a restricted free agent and the Indiana Pacers kind of need to bring him back because they need his shot creation skills for a team otherwise short in that department. The problem is even if he leaves the Pacers are over the cap so Larry Bird’s hands would be somewhat tied in trying to replace what Stephenson brings.
But neither side wants to part ways, Bird said after the draft Friday night when asked about free agency and getting a new contract with Stephenson, as reported by Scott Agness of Vigilantsports.com.
Stephenson’s agent would be smart to wait it out here, not rush the decision.
There are teams out there with Carmelo Anthony (and maybe LeBron James) dreams who are going to swing and miss on their first targets then be searching for a player to bring in, provide some good play and help the GM save face. Stephenson can benefit from that and drive up his price — “We just landed a 23-year-old borderline All-Star who averaged 13.8 points and 7.2 rebounds a game, and he is still improving.” A GM can sell that to the fans and to his owner. Even if he overpaid a little to get him.
The Pacers can match any offer but again, at what price? And how much does Stephenson’s maturity issues play into that number?
What about $10 million a year for four years? Or $11 million? Of $12 million? At what point does Bird throw in his cards and say “too rich for my blood.”
It’s going to be an interesting free agency.
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 5
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 16
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43