Jun 27, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It’s all about the money. The paper. The Benjamins. How many bands are we talking?
Lance Stephenson is a restricted free agent and the Indiana Pacers kind of need to bring him back because they need his shot creation skills for a team otherwise short in that department. The problem is even if he leaves the Pacers are over the cap so Larry Bird’s hands would be somewhat tied in trying to replace what Stephenson brings.
But neither side wants to part ways, Bird said after the draft Friday night when asked about free agency and getting a new contract with Stephenson, as reported by Scott Agness of Vigilantsports.com.
Stephenson’s agent would be smart to wait it out here, not rush the decision.
There are teams out there with Carmelo Anthony (and maybe LeBron James) dreams who are going to swing and miss on their first targets then be searching for a player to bring in, provide some good play and help the GM save face. Stephenson can benefit from that and drive up his price — “We just landed a 23-year-old borderline All-Star who averaged 13.8 points and 7.2 rebounds a game, and he is still improving.” A GM can sell that to the fans and to his owner. Even if he overpaid a little to get him.
The Pacers can match any offer but again, at what price? And how much does Stephenson’s maturity issues play into that number?
What about $10 million a year for four years? Or $11 million? Of $12 million? At what point does Bird throw in his cards and say “too rich for my blood.”
It’s going to be an interesting free agency.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4