Jun 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
A bit of a surprise came hours before Parker’s big moment, however, when it was announced that he had signed with Jordan Brand to endorse the company’s popular line of basketball shoes.
“We could not be more excited to have Jabari Parker officially join our Jordan Family,” said Larry Miller, Jordan Brand president. “Jabari’s character and commitment to excellence makes him a perfect fit with Jordan Brand and we are looking forward to building a legacy with him.”
Parker broke the news himself, by tweeting out a photo of the gold Jumpman tie pin he ended up wearing as part of his draft night ensemble.
— Jabari Parker (@JabariParker) June 26, 2014
Parker’s game has been compared to that of Carmelo Anthony, who (along with Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard) just happens to be one of the brand’s biggest current stars.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30