Jun 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
A bit of a surprise came hours before Parker’s big moment, however, when it was announced that he had signed with Jordan Brand to endorse the company’s popular line of basketball shoes.
“We could not be more excited to have Jabari Parker officially join our Jordan Family,” said Larry Miller, Jordan Brand president. “Jabari’s character and commitment to excellence makes him a perfect fit with Jordan Brand and we are looking forward to building a legacy with him.”
Parker broke the news himself, by tweeting out a photo of the gold Jumpman tie pin he ended up wearing as part of his draft night ensemble.
— Jabari Parker (@JabariParker) June 26, 2014
Parker’s game has been compared to that of Carmelo Anthony, who (along with Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard) just happens to be one of the brand’s biggest current stars.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4