Andre Iguodala: “We should not trade Klay Thompson”

Jun 27, 2014, 12:51 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

It’s the question in front of the Golden State Warriors right now: Would you include Klay Thompson in a deal to get Kevin Love?

My answer is yes. I’m a Thompson fan but Love is a unique player who provides a skill set that takes the Warriors up to legitimate contender status in a way Thompson does not. Of course, the Warriors’ Jerry West and Steve Kerr — both jump shooting guards — disagree with me (and others) so the talks have stalled.

Include Andre Iguodala with West and Kerr in those that want to keep Thompson. Iguodala was on SiriusXM NBA Radio and talked about it, as transcribed by Monte Poole at CSNBayArea.com.

“I want to clear that up right now: We should not trade Klay Thompson,” Iguodala said on Sirius XM.

“I tell Klay every day. I text Klay and say, `Don’t worry, I’m your man. I’m going to make sure you get paid. I’m going to get you the max (maximum contract). You’ll be taken care of. Don’t stress.’”

Players stick by their teammates, particularly publicly. Derrick Rose will not publicly recruit even elite players because he doesn’t want to seem disloyal to the guys in the locker room now. It’s not a shock Iguodala sticks up for Thompson.

Right now Thompson is a top flight two guard and on his rookie contract, so he’s a steal. It’s not going to feel that way when he starts making $10 million plus on his next contract in a couple years, and once he gets a raise it’s going to lock in the Warriors roster in a lot of ways.

But the leap from “cusp of a contender” to “actual threat to win it all” is a harder one than it can appear, and sometimes it requires painful sacrifices and hard decisions. Maybe sticking with Thompson works for the Warriors, but if it doesn’t this could be a moment of regret as they watch other teams keep winning big in the West while they look on from the second round.

1. illegalblues - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

lifetime PER of about 14. Top Flight Two Guard Smokin’ Klay Thompson

2. jerze2387 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM

And the great Kurt Helin throws his opinion out there again. Rather than actually report on things, his articles are all opinion. And wrong, at that.

Lets not trade a Guard, where shooting is a hard skill to learn, for a center who got crazy numbers albeit on a depleted team, where the numbers could be inflated. It couldnt possibly go the same route as KG when he left Minnesota (#s went DOWN when he went to a team where he wasnt the ONLY good player).

And this comment will probably not be posted either, due to the Helin bias in blocking anybody who disagrees with him

• Kurt Helin - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I think you vastly overestimate how much I care what you write or think.

• jkirby317 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

You did respond to him the same day. That kinda shows that you care enough to respond. I think what you meant to say was, “nuh uh.”

• money2long - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM

He doesn’t care what he says. He only cares enough to tell him he doesn’t care.

• dyn0myte - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I think you vastly overestimate your stature…

• redmond24 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Bro it’s a sports blog. Of course there’s opinion. Otherwise you can get an RSS stream from AP sports and get a riveting article on the eating habits of second round draft picks.

• billtetley53 - Jun 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Jerze:
        1. Love is not a center
        2. KG’s numbers went down because that Celtics team was unselfish. They didnt care who had the most points, they just wanted wins.
        Its a shame they only got one chip, they played a team game, much like the Spurs. Those are tbe teams which should be rewarded.

Will Loves #’s go down if hes on the Warriors? I would think so, if he wants to win that is. If he wants to “get his”, he will never win a title there.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Klay is good… but there is no question that you’d trade him to get K Love.

LOOK at their numbers…

Almost ALL articles, be they from Kurt or anyone else contain opinion.

short boring articles that ONLY contain fact aren’t interesting and no way to run a website, now that is a fact for you.

yeah, I’ve had plenty of comments blocked with NO swearing, NO putting down of ANY “member” or other poster on here…

I don’t get the rhyme or reason for having comments not show up as I read some pretty wicked comments some make to others on here an that means they are visible.

But, there is NOTHING wrong with opinions… you have yours and you’re entitled to them.

Anit is entitled to his, Cruz, Kurt, others and myself.

3. 88heatnation - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Its all about the best chance at winning, notice how deep the West is. Give me K. Love ang day and throw in K. Mart to replace his shooting production

4. bball242322 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM

How would Andre make sure Klay gets paid. You don’t make the decision Andre

• bdachan12 - Jun 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

He said he would pass up open shots to feed Klay the ball because he needs to get paid. It was rather disturbing to me if true…

5. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Guys that just flat-out get buckets will always be the fan favorites, but when you stop and look at all of the various things Andre Iguodala provides for your team…it becomes quite clear that this guy doesn’t always get the recognition he deserves. He’s one of the best lockdown defenders in the game, he can hit a big shot for you from any range, he ferociously attacks the rim, and I’m not exaggerating when I say he is one of the very best passers in the NBA.

Fans may not give him the credit he deserves, but NBA coaches and players are fully aware of how talented this guy is, how broad his skill set is, and how he embodies what it means to be a team player. He’s unselfish to a fault at times…

6. leearmon - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

While I agree, I would absolutely trade Klay for Love, I find it amusing how much people are lusting over Kevin. He’s an awful defender and Klay is very good. And we all know Love’s shortcomings when it comes to winning. There is a reason he hasn’t be able to succeed in 6 seasons in the NBA. He’s an absolute offensive beast, no doubt. However he can’t win. Klay making $10 million+ is not ideal, but IMHO neither is Love at $20 million +. And please spare me the “His roster isn’t good …” Compare Love’s T’Wolves roster this season to the 8 seeded teams from the west the past 3 years. Are these Timberwolves considerably less talented (from a personel perspective) than this season’s Mavs? Or last season’s Rockets? Or what about the Jazz 3 years ago. 6 years is a long time to be in the NBA, and in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs, its time to take the kiddie gloves off of Love. Defense matters in the NBA too guys. Even though PER and WP/48 acts as if it doesnt.

7. yesser12 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM

They will have to move someone whether it is Klay, Barnes, or Andre himself.

• money2long - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Barnes or iguodala won’t get it done. Klay is superior to them both.

8. bux1022 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Day old story as usual from our man Kurt! Gotta love it!

• Kurt Helin - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Says the guy who clicked on it and commented on it, driving up the traffic numbers.

9. azarkhan - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Thank you Andre, for stating the obvious.

10. goawaydog - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:25 PM

they did not want to trade Monte Ellis either …

11. rajbais - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I agree. Accurate shooting is hard to find.

12. imakcds - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The author refers to Jerry West as another jump shooting guard, and if that’s all the author knows about one of the greatest minds in the game, let alone his great HOF contributions, then I lose a lot of respect for his opinions.

• billtetley53 - Jun 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Obviously you dont understand the point he was making. All 3 men are/were jump shooting guards.
      Just like if you, Kurt and I were police officers people would call all 3 of us cops.
      If you were the most decorated of the 3, Kurt was a integral part of the force, and I was an up and coming cadet. It wasnt a comparison, he wasnt denigrating West as “just another shooting guard”.

He was just saying they all were ahooring guards, much like my comparison of us 3 being all cops.

I think in Wests case, its a given that EVERYONE. knows his credentials, it doesnt need to be said.

Not trying to be condescending, but that was in no way a slam on West, the greatest laker of all time.

13. saint1997 - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

My pick is Warriors will take a major regression next year – locker room seems without harmony completely

14. saint1997 - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

15. pistolpete0903 - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

The Warriors are a good time…they don’t need any major overhaul.
    The key is to get Bogut healthy; and maybe add another defender on the perimeter. As much as I like Barnes, I think he is expendable.

• pistolpete0903 - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM

‘time’ = ‘team’

16. skinsfanwill - Jun 28, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Finding a shooting guard who can actually shoot is very difficult in this day of cross-overs and ball handling. Not to mention none of Love’s teammates like him. He appears to be a chemistry killer, defensive liability, and a double double machine on a weak team. I’d keep my team and see what they can do in the playoffs WITH Bogut actually playing. I think that would have made a tremendous difference. Change isn’t always good.

17. themagicfanguy - Jun 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Of course you care Kurt otherwise you wouldn’t have even responded. The comments you post on here are always soaked in arrogance which is hilarious coming from a blogger.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches