Updated report: Philadelphia offered picks 3, 10, 32 to get No. 1 pick from Cleveland, may not be enough
Jun 26, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:52 pm: Just how desperate were the Philadelphia 76ers to get the No. 1 pick from the Cleveland Cavaliers and select Andrew Wiggins? Desperate enough to meet the Cavaliers wild demands.
And that still likely is not enough.
We had told you the Sixers upped their offer. How high did that get? Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com said very high.
What have they offered? According to the league source, the Sixers have offered the third, 10th and 32nd picks to the Cavaliers for the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.
That had been the Cavaliers reported asking price, and it still is not enough according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
I’d say that’s the end of the story, but this is the Cavaliers so surprises could still await us all.
2:22 pm: Andrew Wiggins would be a hand-in-glove fit with Michael Carter-Williams and the up-tempo offense of the Philadelphia 76ers. Get the most athletic guy in the draft out in the open court and turn him loose.
The Sixers want the top pick, they offered to trade their No. 3 pick and a quality veteran forward in Thaddeus Young. It wasn’t enough, the Cavaliers shrugged.
This is why you do that if you’re Cleveland — on the day of the draft the Sixers have “increased their offer,” reports Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.
We don’t know what “increased” means exactly. It’s highly unlikely the Sixers would add their No. 10 pick to that mix, but they have five second round picks that could be thrown in the package. There also may be other assets on the roster or future picks that could be thrown in.
For the Cavaliers, it comes down to this: How highly do you rate Wiggins? If you think he is clear and away the best guy in this draft, take him and don’t look back. You have one cornerstone piece in Kyrie Irving, but to really win (and to keep him long term) you have to get another, roll the dice if you think Wiggins can develop into that guy under new coach David Blatt.
If you don’t rate him that highly, make the trade and take Joel Embiid or Dante Exum or whoever at No. 3 and don’t look back.
Predicting what the Cavaliers will do on draft night is next to impossible, as history has shown us.
But the Sixers are cranking up the pressure, they want Wiggins and the No. 1 pick.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 17
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19