Jun 26, 2014, 9:18 PM EST
NEW YORK – The Sixers continued along their path of considering the long-term over the short- by selecting Joel Embiid with the third overall pick in the NBA Draft, and worked even further away from trying to win in the present by the trade they made involving the player they selected tenth.
Philadelphia is sending Elfrid Payton to the Orlando Magic for the draft rights to Dario Saric, reports Ken Berger of CBS Sports. The Sixers will reportedly also receive a couple of draft picks in the deal — Orlando’s 2017 first-rounder, which is top-11 protected and top-eight protected should it fall to 2018, along with a second round pick in 2015.
Embiid, much like Nerlens Noel the season before him, could very well miss the entire year due to the foot injury he suffered that required recent surgery. And Saric is expected to stay in Europe for at least two more years, although if he develops quickly and Philadelphia sees a need, they could try to buy him out of that contract and bring him over sometime sooner.
Payton happened to be at the podium as the news of the deal began to break, and it became a bit comical to hear him answer question after question about playing in Philadelphia before someone finally told him the news, and asked what his feelings were about now playing for the Magic.
“I mean, I don’t know, I guess that would be nice too,” Payton said. “Anything is a blessing, man.”
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 2
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10