Jun 26, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT
NEW YORK – The Sixers continued along their path of considering the long-term over the short- by selecting Joel Embiid with the third overall pick in the NBA Draft, and worked even further away from trying to win in the present by the trade they made involving the player they selected tenth.
Philadelphia is sending Elfrid Payton to the Orlando Magic for the draft rights to Dario Saric, reports Ken Berger of CBS Sports. The Sixers will reportedly also receive a couple of draft picks in the deal — Orlando’s 2017 first-rounder, which is top-11 protected and top-eight protected should it fall to 2018, along with a second round pick in 2015.
Embiid, much like Nerlens Noel the season before him, could very well miss the entire year due to the foot injury he suffered that required recent surgery. And Saric is expected to stay in Europe for at least two more years, although if he develops quickly and Philadelphia sees a need, they could try to buy him out of that contract and bring him over sometime sooner.
Payton happened to be at the podium as the news of the deal began to break, and it became a bit comical to hear him answer question after question about playing in Philadelphia before someone finally told him the news, and asked what his feelings were about now playing for the Magic.
“I mean, I don’t know, I guess that would be nice too,” Payton said. “Anything is a blessing, man.”
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 28
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 21
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22