Jun 26, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT
NEW YORK — The Sixers continued along their path of considering the long-term over the short- by selecting Joel Embiid with the third overall pick in the NBA Draft, and worked even further away from trying to win in the present by the trade they made involving the player they selected tenth.
Philadelphia is sending Elfrid Payton to the Orlando Magic for the draft rights to Dario Saric, reports Ken Berger of CBS Sports. The Sixers will reportedly also receive a couple of draft picks in the deal — Orlando’s 2017 first-rounder, which is top-11 protected and top-eight protected should it fall to 2018, along with a second round pick in 2015.
Embiid, much like Nerlens Noel the season before him, could very well miss the entire year due to the foot injury he suffered that required recent surgery. And Saric is expected to stay in Europe for at least two more years, although if he develops quickly and Philadelphia sees a need, they could try to buy him out of that contract and bring him over sometime sooner.
Payton happened to be at the podium as the news of the deal began to break, and it became a bit comical to hear him answer question after question about playing in Philadelphia before someone finally told him the news, and asked what his feelings were about now playing for the Magic.
“I mean, I don’t know, I guess that would be nice too,” Payton said. “Anything is a blessing, man.”
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4