Jun 26, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Joel Embiid is not going to fall very far in this draft — prior concerns about his back and current ones about the two screws in the navicular bone of his foot wisely scared the Cleveland Cavaliers off him at the No 1 slot, and Jabari Parker is all but locked at No. 2.
After that it’s wide open.
A number of teams are targeting him in the draft, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Joel Embiid's seriously in play for three spots in top part of lottery: 76ers (3), Celtics (6), Lakers (7), league sources tell Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 26, 2014
The Sixers would prefer to move up and grab Andrew Wiggins in the top spot but if they can’t they could draft Embiid and would not be afraid to sit him an entire season — they just did it with Nerlens Noel. Yes, the Sixers would take Noel and Embiid, Philly is in asset acquisition mode, wants to get as many of the best players as they can, then worry about fit (or trading some of them).
The Celtics and Lakers are in the same boat in this sense — both are big brands in big markets with big fan bases, and both have money, meaning both could take the gamble on Embiid and if it didn’t pan out they recover with free agents they can recruit. The Lakers and Celtics can afford to misfire in the draft in a way that the Bucks or Jazz cannot. It’s just the reality of the market. The Lakers and Celtics could gamble on Embiid, they can absorb the risk (and both could let him sit a full season).
There are other teams to watch here — the Sacramento Kings, for one, want to trade up and get Embiid. They can offer the No. 8 pick and either future picks or players. They are not alone, you can bet the Magic and Jazz (picks four and five) are getting calls from teams who have interest in Embiid.
Bottom line, the Lakers may want him at No. 7 but he’s not going to be on the board at that point.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32