Jun 26, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
See LeBron, we really do care what you think!
LeBron James tweeted during the NCAA Finals that there was no better point guard in the draft than UConn’s Shabazz Napier. The Miami Heat could use another backup point guard, unless you thought Norris Cole was good during the playoffs. (And if you thought Norris Cole was good during the playoffs, I’m worried about you.)
Napier was selected by the Charlotte Hornets at No. 24 but will be traded almost instantly to the Miami Heat for the No. 26 pick in this draft, the No. 55 pick and a future second rounder, something first reported by Brian Windhorst of ESPN and confirmed by multiple sources.
With the 26 pick the Bobcats get P.J. Hairston, the former North Carolina player who spent last season in the D-League and scored 20 points a game. He has great three point range and with his experience can step in and play immediately.
LeBron may love Napier, NBA scouts… not so much.
Most see him as a solid second string NBA point guard, albeit one who can step into that role next season for the Heat.
He scores well in isolation or off the pick-and-roll, and is generally good shooter who can create space for himself. He’s undersized but plays tough defense.
But if he wants to see the court his decision making has to be more consistent — remember Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb looked pedestrian with Napier getting them the ball. Napier is going to have more athletic guys guarding him and that’s going to be an adjustment.
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 1
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 55
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 62
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 21
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30