Jun 26, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
On draft night they added a guy who provides more of that.
The Bulls have landed Creighton’s scoring machine Doug McDermott in a trade, something first reported by Sam Amick of the USA Today.
I like this pick for the Bulls. Their offseason has been so far aimed at adding offense and this trade does that. McDermott is known for his outside shot (44.9 percent from three last season) but more than that he can put the ball on the floor, post up and score in a variety of ways — and do it efficiently. Plus, he hits contested shots very well.
There are questions about how his game translates — he’s not a great athlete by NBA standards, he plays below the rim, and while he got mismatches in college in the NBA the guys guarding him will be more athletic. How does he adjust?
Then there are legit concerns about how well he can defend at the next level, and if he can’t defend Tom Thibodeau will not play him.
As for the Nuggets, they are going to add a couple of affordable young players to an already good team (one that already added Arron Afflalo earlier in the day and will get Danilo Gallinari and JaVale McGee back from injury next season).
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15