Jun 26, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Overpaid and over-the-hill, John Salmons still has trade value for the Raptors.
At least his contract does.
That’s why Toronto has taken its time before waiving Salmons, who has only $1 million of his $7 million 2014-15 salary guaranteed.
Mac Stein of ESPN:
Prince is owed $7,707,865 next season, the final year of his contract. So, the Grizzlies would waive Salmons and save $6,707,865. That won’t get them cap room, but maybe they have another deal planned and/or want more cushion below the luxury-tax line. Most likely, it’s primarily a cost-cutting move.
Essentially, Toronto would add $6,707,865 to its 2014-15 team salary in exchange for moving up 15 spots in the draft.
It’s probably worth it, considering the Raptors – as long as they want to keep Kyle Lowry, which they should – don’t project to have cap room this season. The deal might affect their maneuverability beneath the luxury-tax line, but that’s only a minor concern. Prince, even on the downside of his career, can replace Salmons as a backup forward. Plus, I believe this draft begins to thin in the mid 30s.
Besides the low salary of the No. 22 pick, there are no cap implications beyond next season.
The Raptors already have the No. 20 pick, so this would give them two selections in the same range, and perhaps, the ability to trade up further.
Because the Grizzlies already dealt their 2015 pick (to Cleveland), they can’t yet make the trade. But they can easily pick on behalf of Toronto and then officially complete the trade after the draft tonight. That’s a non-issue.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3