Jun 26, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Overpaid and over-the-hill, John Salmons still has trade value for the Raptors.
At least his contract does.
That’s why Toronto has taken its time before waiving Salmons, who has only $1 million of his $7 million 2014-15 salary guaranteed.
Mac Stein of ESPN:
Prince is owed $7,707,865 next season, the final year of his contract. So, the Grizzlies would waive Salmons and save $6,707,865. That won’t get them cap room, but maybe they have another deal planned and/or want more cushion below the luxury-tax line. Most likely, it’s primarily a cost-cutting move.
Essentially, Toronto would add $6,707,865 to its 2014-15 team salary in exchange for moving up 15 spots in the draft.
It’s probably worth it, considering the Raptors – as long as they want to keep Kyle Lowry, which they should – don’t project to have cap room this season. The deal might affect their maneuverability beneath the luxury-tax line, but that’s only a minor concern. Prince, even on the downside of his career, can replace Salmons as a backup forward. Plus, I believe this draft begins to thin in the mid 30s.
Besides the low salary of the No. 22 pick, there are no cap implications beyond next season.
The Raptors already have the No. 20 pick, so this would give them two selections in the same range, and perhaps, the ability to trade up further.
Because the Grizzlies already dealt their 2015 pick (to Cleveland), they can’t yet make the trade. But they can easily pick on behalf of Toronto and then officially complete the trade after the draft tonight. That’s a non-issue.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 3
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39