NBA drafts Isaiah Austin, who had been diagnosed with a career-ending medical condition (VIDEO)

Jun 26, 2014, 10:37 PM EST

BrGa5IWCQAIG6zc.jpg-large

NEW YORK – Isaiah Austin was projected to be a second round pick in this year’s draft, before being diagnosed with a medical condition that forced him to end his basketball career before it could professionally get started.

Austin was invited to the draft as a guest of commissioner Adam Silver, which would have been enough of a classy gesture in and of itself.

But the league went over the top in the way it handled Austin’s situation, by calling his name and having him don a draft cap and come to the podium as if he had been actually selected.

It was an extremely touching moment, and Austin’s remarks in the interview room a few minutes later were every bit as heart-wrenching.

“It’s been a really tough week for me, and it’s been really rough,” Austin said. “I’ve had a tremendous amount of support from everybody around the world really, telling me that they’re praying for me and everything. I can’t thank everybody enough. very single person that has reached out, I really give my gratitude to them. It was one of the greatest moments of my life, something I’ll never forget. I love this game of basketball so much. It’s really changed my life.

“To be blessed to play this game for as long as I did, I’m just thankful. I’ve really had time to sit down and think a little bit, and God has truly blessed me because he could have continued to let me play basketball, but instead, he saved my life.”

Those were powerful words from Austin, but things got even more devastating when he detailed the process by which he found out about his diagnosis.

“My parents originally found out the information the night before,” Austin said. “As soon as they heard, they packed up their bags, and my family drove nine hours from Kansas City to Dallas where I was at. I remember that morning I woke up early and was in the gym working out. I got shots up, and then later that afternoon I was at Mo Williams‘ house. He had a barbecue; I work I work out at his gym, so I’ve gotten to know him pretty well.

“I remember I was driving home with my high school coach, Coach Ray, and we’re doing the same thing that we do all the time, laughing and joking around. As soon as we pulled up to the house, I just noticed a variety of cars, and I noticed a couple of them that I recognized.

“I remember asking him what was up, and he couldn’t even look at me.I remember walking through the door, there was 10, 15 people there — my Baylor coaching staff, my pastor, a couple of my close friends and my family. The first person’s face who I saw was my mother’s. She was all the way in the back. I just remember seeing tears falling down her eyes, my dad’s arms around her. I knew right then exactly what it was because I remembered in Chicago they said I could have had this syndrome, and they did blood work on it. I just hadn’t gotten the results back.

“I wanted to break down and cry, but I didn’t because my little brother and sister were in the room. I wanted to show them that I could be strong for them and for my family because they look up to me. Later that night, I just remember I couldn’t sleep. It was devastating.”

Austin has a promising future that includes job offers from the NBA and his former schools; it’s just one that won’t include his dream of playing professionally, which was almost within reach. He’s keeping a remarkably positive attitude through it all, however, and hearing his name called on draft night was a dream come true nonetheless.

“When you’re playing basketball and growing up and you’re at a competitive high level, and you’re being recruited highly and everybody’s saying that you have such potential, that’s your dream to be able to walk across that stage and hear your name called,” Austin said.

“When he did it, my head just dropped, because, you know, it was almost too much for me to handle. Fortunately, he did, and I’m thankful for it.”

[Want NBA draft gear? Click here]

Latest Posts
  1. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

2. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

3. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

4. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

5. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

6. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

7. Report: Hornets pull Lance Stephenson off trade block

Dec 19, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

Heat and Nets among teams that showed interest

8. Mark Cuban finalized Rajon Rondo trade while on set for The Colbert Report finale

Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 AM EST

Mavericks owner, one of many celebrities singing off Stephen Colbert, had his priorities in line

9. Carmelo Anthony turning down the Bulls was a blessing in disguise for Chicago

Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Carmelo Anthony Carmelo Anthony

The Bulls are better off with their depth and flexibility.

10. Draymond Green ruins Stephen Curry’s behind-the-back highlight (video)

Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors

Warriors forward blows dunk, does everything else right in win over Thunder

11. Mike Malone “surprised” he was fired by Sacramento Kings

Dec 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He will get another shot at being a head coach in the NBA. He deserves it.

12. Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 AM EST

Rajon Rondo AP

Rondo moves the Mavs into contender status in the West. Problem is that is a crowded field.

13. Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative.

Dec 19, 2014, 12:46 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

The team officially described the sprain as “mild.”

14. Phil Jackson takes to Twitter to defend Knicks trading Tyson Chandler to Mavericks

Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST

Phil Jackson, James Dolan, executive chairman of the Madison Square Garden Company AP

Phil responds to an article ripping the Knicks for making the deal.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches