Jun 26, 2014, 8:46 AM EST
The Lakers are not near the top of the list for Carmelo Anthony — if he’s leaving New York it is to chase a title and the Lakers are not near that level. Not even if Kobe Bryant returns from his surgeries close to his old self.
That doesn’t mean the Lakers aren’t going to make their pitch. “So you’re saying their’s a chance…”
That starts with Kobe — he has a long relationship with Anthony built over summers with Team USA. Bryant is going to reach out and try to recruit Anthony, the Lakers’ star told Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Though the Los Angeles Lakers are not on Anthony’s current list, Kobe Bryant plans to recruit him to the team. Bryant, who is close with Anthony, spoke to him by telephone when they were in separate parts of Europe earlier this week.
Bryant told ESPN.com in a text message that he plans to meet with Anthony, as well.
In the “pros” column, if Anthony comes to Los Angeles he can give his input on who the new coach should be and what system they should run. The Lakers have not settled on such trivial details yet.
This is not a battle Kobe and the Lakers are going to win. If Anthony leaves the Knicks and takes less money somewhere else it is going to be all about winning, about chasing rings. And if that’s the case why come to the Western Conference? Why choose the hardest path possible?
But if he does come West, Dallas and Houston — two of the teams in his first round of interviews, along with Chicago — make sense. Those teams are close to competing with the Spurs, Thunder and Clippers. Plus, can you really see Kobe and Anthony blending well together on the court, willingly sharing the ball?
The Lakers are going to get their chance to make a run at a major free agent in the next couple years, one way or another. But not this guy, not this time. No matter how any times Kobe calls.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 15
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 53
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28