Jun 26, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
The Lakers are not near the top of the list for Carmelo Anthony — if he’s leaving New York it is to chase a title and the Lakers are not near that level. Not even if Kobe Bryant returns from his surgeries close to his old self.
That doesn’t mean the Lakers aren’t going to make their pitch. “So you’re saying their’s a chance…”
That starts with Kobe — he has a long relationship with Anthony built over summers with Team USA. Bryant is going to reach out and try to recruit Anthony, the Lakers’ star told Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Though the Los Angeles Lakers are not on Anthony’s current list, Kobe Bryant plans to recruit him to the team. Bryant, who is close with Anthony, spoke to him by telephone when they were in separate parts of Europe earlier this week.
Bryant told ESPN.com in a text message that he plans to meet with Anthony, as well.
In the “pros” column, if Anthony comes to Los Angeles he can give his input on who the new coach should be and what system they should run. The Lakers have not settled on such trivial details yet.
This is not a battle Kobe and the Lakers are going to win. If Anthony leaves the Knicks and takes less money somewhere else it is going to be all about winning, about chasing rings. And if that’s the case why come to the Western Conference? Why choose the hardest path possible?
But if he does come West, Dallas and Houston — two of the teams in his first round of interviews, along with Chicago — make sense. Those teams are close to competing with the Spurs, Thunder and Clippers. Plus, can you really see Kobe and Anthony blending well together on the court, willingly sharing the ball?
The Lakers are going to get their chance to make a run at a major free agent in the next couple years, one way or another. But not this guy, not this time. No matter how any times Kobe calls.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32