Jabari Parker already regrets declaring himself a Buck for life, still very happy with Milwaukee

Jun 26, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

2014 NBA Draft Getty Images

BROOKLYN – No NBA team as gone longer without an All-Star than the Milwaukee Bucks, who sent Michael Redd to the 2004 mid-winter classic. In fact, when writing about All-Star droughts, I initially forgot about Milwaukee even exissted.

The Bucks are the NBA’s most-anonymous team, rarely contending and rarely tanking. Their 15-67 season was an accident, a product of failed attempts to remain mediocre. Milwaukee maintains a national spotlight only when other cities – lately, Seattle – try to poach them.

So, it must have seemed like manna from heaven to Bucks fans when Jabari Parker indicated he wanted to land in Milwaukee.

Fed a steady diet of beer, bratwurst and cheese, this dream grew and grew and eventually turned into reality.

Not only did the Bucks draft Parker No. 2 overall Thursday, he practically declared himself a Buck for life.

“I’m trying to be a throwback player, only stick with one team,” Parker said.

The joy lasted only a second before Parker backtracked.

“That might bite me in the butt years from now,” Parker said. “But right now, I just want to stick with whoever’s rolling with me.”

A Buck for life for tonight.

Still, Parker emphasized his passion for Milwaukee.

He name-dropped Lew Alcindor and Sam Cassell. He said he’d pour his heart into the team. And he expressed appreciation for his new city’s proximity to his native Chicago.

“I get to enjoy that Great Lake water again,” Parker said.

Parker is drinking the water, just not the Kool-Aid – at least not fully, not yet.

It’s never that easy for the Bucks.

1. antistratfordian - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I like how he said he gets to represent the city of Chicago in Milwaukee. That was an odd thing to say.

• yesser12 - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Pretty much made it seem like he will bolt to Chicago when his contract is up.

• chicitybulls - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I surely hope so. Two Simeon guys leading their hometown team into the playoffs and beyond….

• thesixersbench - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Not at all – he was prompted for that sound bite by the reporter. He immediately said he was equally as excited to represent the great city of Milwaukee.

Obviously, I’m not a Bucks fan, but I’m very happy for them. Historic franchise who has had a real tough go as of late….I’m really pleased for their fans.

Enjoy Jabari, Bucks fans, you deserve him.

• dnbajunkie - Jun 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Looks like it!!

2. cowboys1988 - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Was the kool-aid part a racist comment?

• dondada10 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Yes and the bratwurst comment was clearly anti-semitic.

• phillysportsfanwithaclue - Jun 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

No, Jim Jones kool-aid murder suicide colt of the 70’s

3. saint1997 - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Good fit around Giannas and Henson. They’ll have to flip Sanders and I’m not convinced on Brandon at PG long term. Still at least the 3-4-5 is set and they can just look to bolster a backcourt

• sportsfan18 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM

they can keep all of them…

48 min’s at the 3, the 4 and the 5 is 144 min’s a game.

I KNOW they won’t be split evenly but 144 min’s over 4 guys is 36 min’s a game…

Not all that many guys average 36 min’s a game in the league…

only 33 players total averaged 36 or more min’s per game in the league last season…

doesn’t happen that often… there is enough min’s to play those 4 guys… but I don’t follow the team to know their positions, overlap etc…

spot on about Brandon at PG… he’s a backup…

• theblackrook - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM

brandon is 22… 22 years old. he’s still got a lot to learn but for his age and where he came from he’s fine at 1. I’m tired of all this Brandon Knight hate when he was the only gamer on the team after the all star break. You people make me sick with that.

4. locator08 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Parker is at his peak..nba ready tho..lmao

• antistratfordian - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Wiggins is acknowledged as the far superior defender… tonight the talking heads even said, “he can stop any wing player in the NBA right now.” Yet those same guys still call Parker more “NBA ready.” Does that make sense to anybody? There is nothing more explicitly amateur than sucking on defense as a rookie.

• chicitybulls - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I know. Give me a guy who can’t score but can play defense. THAT’S the guy NBA GMs covet. *that’s called sarcasm, anti-smarts, anti-knowledge, anti-reasonable, anti-realism.

• antistratfordian - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Wiggins can’t score? How many times did Parker drop 40+ points last year?

Wiggins can score and play defense. That’s why he went #1.

• chicitybulls - Jun 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I didn’t say Wiggins can’t score. I don’t dislike the kid, like you do with Jabari (and seemingly every player from Chicago i.e. Rose). I think he’ll be a very good player and wish him the best in the league. Imo, Wiggins went #1 because people can’t think for themselves. There was (and is) this feeling that Wiggins has more upside and potential but never say what they’re basing their feeling on. Why do YOU feel he has more potential? What are you basing it on? Is it because he starting from a lower point, meaning he’s not as good as Parker yet and has to get to his point then improve from there? Is it because Parker is already really good (a least offensively and you can’t argue with that) and you believe he can’t possibly get much better despite being only 19 yrs old? What is it? Enlighten us with your “expert” opinion?

• antistratfordian - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Maybe you missed the posts where I said Joakim Noah was turning into one of my favorite players. I’m a big fan of Noah’s versatility (when he’s not playing the Heat).

I’m just calling it like I see it here. I have nothing against Chicago. I love Chicago. I idolized Walter Payton and Gale Sayers growing up. And who wasn’t a fan of MJ and Pippen? I voted for Obama.

You’re a Bulls fan, right? You know what Phil Jackson said about the two basic fundamental skills of basketball – running and jumping? A player has such a huge advantage over the competition when they start out so superior in those two basic skills. A player who doesn’t have it, will never have it.

You can potentially teach Wiggins to do everything Parker can do. But you can’t ever teach Parker to do all of the things Wiggins is capable of.

That’s one of the primary reasons why it’s so hard for other players to match the efforts of LBJ or MJ or Wilt – their athleticism is too rare.

• chicitybulls - Jun 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

But your taking a gamble that you can teach him those skills. You’re making it seem like athleticism=success and it doesn’t. Do you want Terrance Ross or Melo? Do you want Gerald Green or Paul Pierce?

• antistratfordian - Jun 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM

What skills? He’s already a good scorer. Offense is the easiest thing to learn – defense is the hard part. Most players never learn to become good defenders. Wiggins is already a good defender. It’s just a certain mindset that you have to have, and Wiggins already has it.

Terrance Ross and Gerald Green weren’t #1 quality picks. If there is a freak athlete that people have pegged as a #1 pick, you take him. You wouldn’t reach for a freak athlete projected to go 18th at the top of the draft.

Wiggins would’ve went #1 last year and he went #1 this year. He’s not just a raw athlete.

• chicitybulls - Jun 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Offense is the easiest thing to learn? Is that why the thing keeping the Bulls is scoring? I know you want to stick up for your boy but be real. Defense is the easiest thing because all it takes is effort. Zack Lavine is athletic and can score. Why didn’t he go #2 or even in the top 5? And who are these “people” you’re talking about? Just people, like you and me, that have an opinion. I sure hope GMs are not making their selections on people’s opinions that they don’t know. That’s what message boards and blogs are for.

• antistratfordian - Jun 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I’m not talking about everybody – I’m talking about a super athletic #1 pick like Wiggins – who has the ability to go for 40 on any night. Translating your offense to the pros is not going to be the hard part. Wiggins will be able to get to the rim whenever he wants. To really improve his offense at the next level all it will take is getting thousands and thousands of shots up on his own time and it will come.

And defense is not just about effort, it’s about proper use of effort. Gambling for steals is effort, but it’s counter-productive defensively. Really – to be quite honest – you’re either born with the ability to be a great defender or you’re not. Wiggins was born with the ability to be a great offensive player and a great defensive player.

• chicitybulls - Jun 29, 2014 at 1:05 AM

There hasn’t been many “super athletic” #1 picks. Most have been bigs and scorers. Only recently have there been what one would consider athletic players going #1 (Irving, Wall and Rose). And I know YOU’re not saying Rose is great. That would contradict every thing you’ve been saying before.

I really wish this kid the best. However if he doesn’t live up to the hype or never becomes as good as Parker, will you man up and come back and admit you’re wrong?

• antistratfordian - Jun 29, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Well, for one thing, I don’t think I said anything about where these guys would end up. I never said that Wiggins is absolutely going to be the better player. I believe we’re having this conversation because I said that it didn’t make sense for a pundit to say Wiggins can stop any wing in the NBA, but then turn around and say Parker is more “NBA ready” even though he’s not a good defender. If a player comes out of college as Bruce Bowen, isn’t that NBA ready?

So I don’t know who is going to end up the better player. At this point I would rather have Wiggins because I really like where his head is on defense, I’m not worried about his offense, and if all else fails he will still be able to make an impact with his athleticism.

And I do like Derrick Rose. Who doesn’t? That’s like saying you don’t like watching Stephen Curry. I just think Rose was a tad overrated there for a spell – but that doesn’t mean he isn’t/wasn’t great.

• bkbell3 - Jun 27, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Those guys are nuts esp. simmons. There is nobody IN THE LEAGUE NOW that can stop ANY wing player in the league, let alone a one and done college player. I can’t remember who said it but he should be banned from ever talking about basketball ever again. I mean in a bar, in his back yard on his deck, in bed with his wife, I mean ever.smh.lol

5. milkcan44 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Reminds me of when the Bucks chose to drop a notch instead of taking the more athletic point guard who went to Minnesota (an afterthought now -can’t even remember his name).
    A smart guy like Allen who wants to stay and build worked out pretty well (until George Karl and Ernie Grunfeld got drunk one night and delusioned themselves into swapping Allen for Gary Payton).

• milkcan44 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:12 PM

My omission, Allen means Ray Allen.

6. chicagosports2014 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Caron Butler always talked about Millwaukee every since he been in the league, not wrong to shot out your home town.

LOYALTY IS WITH IN!

7. fm31970 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Very happy this worked out for the Bucks and Parker. Welcome to Milwaukee. Let’s get busy.

8. campcouch - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Hopefully these guys look at Isaiah Austin and realize how lucky they are to play in the NBA. It’s not a right to be employed by anyone, and if a team is willing to invest in you, then get on board until you can leave. I’ll chalk it up to a rookie having to learn the media side of the profession, but give those guys in Milwaukee a chance to show you something. Embrace your team and the fans.

9. jacobk621 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Sidney Moncrief !!!

10. 00maltliquor - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Good luck next year bougin.

11. alshonsmeathooks - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:57 AM

_____________________

do you guys do any editing?

can I write articles?

12. theblackrook - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Is it me or does this site rain on the Bucks way more than anyone did the clippers for… well the entire 20 years they were crappy.

13. handsomerob86 - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:52 AM

The new CBA sucks, it actually puts more stars in FA than the old. They need to revise it so that teams can offer the 5 year max the year before FA like they used to. Letting every player hit FA pretty much gaurentees the small markets lose their guys.

14. terremotinho - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I like that he name-checked Alcindor and Cassel and the Big O. At least he’s done his homework and he sounds like a nice guy on top of everything else. Since they stopped playing games the Bucks have been on a roll LOL. Something to look forward to.

15. realfootballfan - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Something tells me the Bucks will be back doing this again over the next few years before this guy leaves.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches