Doug McDermott out to prove he’s more complete than you think

Jun 26, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

NEW YORK – When you’re given the nickname Dougie McBuckets, it’s no secret that your specialty is putting the basketball where its intended destination is, even if your NBA team changes within a 10 minute time span.

Doug McDermott wound up in potentially the best possible spot for him thanks to the Chicago Bulls, who gave up their two first round picks (16 and 19) to Denver for McDermott after selecting him with the 11th overall pick. The Bulls needed to find someone who could come in and score right away to take some of the burden off of a returning Derrick Rose.

During his senior year campaign at Creighton, McDermott led the nation in scoring (26.7 ppg) and did it in a variety of ways. He made 57 percent of his two point shots, 45 percent of his three point shots (while taking six per game) and made 86 percent of his free throws. This wasn’t just a one year explosion; McDermott’s scoring average went up during each of his four years in college. Wait college basketball players are actually allowed to go to school for four years and graduate with a degree!?

It was apparent during his final two seasons that he had a skill that could transfer over to the NBA, but the biggest question mark around McDermott is his ability to improve the rest of his game, especially his defense, into an acceptable level in the NBA. McBuckets knows what has to be done.

“Defensively I have to get a lot better and be able to prove that I can guard some of those positions that’s the main thing,” he said on Wednesday during the pre-draft media availability. “I know I can score, I know I can shoot, I know I can move without the ball, but you know the main thing is on the defensive end.”

He’s worked on more than just his defense and it sounds as though McDermott has been working on improving every aspect of his offensive game since his college career wrapped up, but perhaps nothing more so than his ability to control his own offense.

“Ball handling a lot just because there is a lot of space in the NBA and the more you can create for yourself, the more successful you’re going to be.”

McDermott also understands that the transition into the NBA isn’t just going to be about evolving his physical abilities, changing his mental approach to life as a member of the NBA is just as important.

“You know it’s different, I’ve been in college for four years, so all of a sudden I’m going to have all of this free time, so I’m going to be in the gym a lot more than I was. Obviously I’m going to be getting paid money to do it now, so it’s a job,” McDermott said. “You gotta take it real serious because there are a lot of good players in this world that can come up at the next level and take your job at some point.”

But what job would a player be taking? McDermott’s skill set lends itself perfectly to that of a small-ball four, which would likely be his calling card if he were two inches taller (he’s currently listed at 6’8”). If he plays the three, he’s going to have to guard the likes of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Paul George and Carmelo Anthony.

So what position does McDermott think he’ll be at the next level?

“A three, I think I’ll play the three at the next level. In college I played the four for the most part just because we were pretty small, but we switched one through four sometimes one through five, so I’ve guarded a lot of wings during my four years,” he said.

Could he be a small-ball four?

“I think so. I think you’ve seen more stretch fours who aren’t quite as tall, so you know I think I could help there. Certainly once I am established in the league and maybe put on some more weight and bulk I could potentially guard fours too.”

The toughest transition for Dougie McBuckets is going to be bursting through the sticker that says “Hello, I’m a shooter and I can’t do anything else”. It’s a label that has doomed many before McDermott (HI JIMMER!), but it’s also one that he recognizes. It’s something that has driven him during the time between the end of his college career and the draft.

“A lot of people label me as just a spot up shooter, but I think that I’m a lot more than that. I feel like I can put the ball on the floor and come off of screens really well, so I’ve been working on that a lot.”

Welcome to the windy city Mr. McBuckets.

Twitter: @Scottdargis

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Bosh makes it official, signs five-year, $118 million deal with Miami

Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 6 Getty Images

“His unique skill set makes him one of the best players in the game today.” —Pat Riley on Chris Bosh, who still is overpaid.

2. Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly

Jul 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Pat Riley Pat Riley

Pat Riley got beat in free agency, and he doesn’t take losing well.

3. Magic Johnson: Jerry Buss wanted Byron Scott to coach the Lakers

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Scott, not Mike Brown, would have followed Phil Jackson

4. Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back”

Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

“He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.” —Anthony Davis on Rose.

5. Report: Longtime referee Dick Bavetta retiring

Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Dick Bavetta Dick Bavetta

NBA reportedly wanted Bavetta to retire four years ago

6. Report: Lakers work out Michael Beasley

Jul 30, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Miami Heat Getty Images

The elicits a shrug of the shoulders. Not much else.

7. Kevin Durant anoints Anthony Davis MVP-in-waiting

Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT

Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant

Thunder star texted Davis after winning the award last season: ‘You on your way to get it’

8. Notes from Team USA Camp in Las Vegas: Nobody is a fan of the FIBA balls

Jul 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Chandler Parsons AP

“Guys that don’t have a reputation for playing hard defense are picking up full court.” —Damian Lillard on the level of play at Team USA training camp.

9. Mavericks may consider signing Rashard Lewis after his knee surgery

Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Rashard Lewis Rashard Lewis

Dallas originally signed Lewis, but voided his contract once it was discovered he would require knee surgery.

10. Knicks legend Earl Monroe sees New York finishing top four in the East ‘easily’

Jul 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Earl Monroe Earl Monroe

Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Toronto and Washington all simply shake their heads.

11. Report: Metta World Peace nearing deal to play in China next season

Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.

12. Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks

Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.

13. Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.

14. Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench?

Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Mike Krzyzewski Mike Krzyzewski

“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski

15. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

16. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches