Jun 26, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
After all the hype, all the rumors, it ended being the guy everyone thought it would be one year ago.
The Cleveland Cavaliers used the top pick in the NBA Draft on Andrew Wiggins, the forward out of Kansas.
This is the pick the Cavaliers needed to make. Wiggins is a 6’8” swingman who brings a lot to the table — freakish athleticism, good and improving skills (he still needs a lot of polishing), he defends well, and by all reports is very coachable with a good hoops IQ. The most common comparison is a young Tracy McGrady, although McGrady was a better shooter. That’s what Wiggins needs to develop, all the way out to the arc.
Put him on the wing with Kyrie Irving at the point and you have two key pieces that can take you a long way down the line (and in the East to the playoffs next year if everyone stays healthy).
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13