Jun 26, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
After all the hype, all the rumors, it ended being the guy everyone thought it would be one year ago.
The Cleveland Cavaliers used the top pick in the NBA Draft on Andrew Wiggins, the forward out of Kansas.
This is the pick the Cavaliers needed to make. Wiggins is a 6’8” swingman who brings a lot to the table — freakish athleticism, good and improving skills (he still needs a lot of polishing), he defends well, and by all reports is very coachable with a good hoops IQ. The most common comparison is a young Tracy McGrady, although McGrady was a better shooter. That’s what Wiggins needs to develop, all the way out to the arc.
Put him on the wing with Kyrie Irving at the point and you have two key pieces that can take you a long way down the line (and in the East to the playoffs next year if everyone stays healthy).
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8