Jun 25, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
If you had “Wednesday” in the office pool for when Miami’s big three would get together and talk, go collect your winnings.
You want details… they apparently ate salads, plus chips and guacamole. After the meeting LeBron and Wade went to the Jay-Z/Beyonce concert. Beyond that, nothing but platitudes.
Source tells AP that Dwyane Wade has made no decision yet. Second source calls the Big 3 summit today "good and positive."—
Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) June 26, 2014
The meeting was expected. Miami’s “big three” did not discuss the future during the season, rather they wanted to wait a week or more after the season ended, calm down and discuss what their next steps would be. The group has been together four years, been to four finals and won two titles, but faces a lot of questions about how to improve going forward.
LeBron already made the power move.
By opting out of his contract already he laid down the ground rules — you guys opt out and give Pat Riley some cap space to operate or I am going to check out my options and take the chance at a title wherever I go.
It is widely believed that LeBron and Bosh will take less money to stay in Miami, the question is the aging Wade who (like the other two) is owed $41 million over the next two years. His knees are fading fast and his role will diminish, he’s not getting another big deal. It is possible that Riley tries to sell him on a deal more like four years, $48 million which drops his rate per season by $8 million or more but gives him more years and guaranteed money.
You can bet all of that was discussed, and Riley will be informed.
The rest of us know the drama is going to play out for a while.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16