Jun 25, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
If you had “Wednesday” in the office pool for when Miami’s big three would get together and talk, go collect your winnings.
You want details… they apparently ate salads, plus chips and guacamole. After the meeting LeBron and Wade went to the Jay-Z/Beyonce concert. Beyond that, nothing but platitudes.
The meeting was expected. Miami’s “big three” did not discuss the future during the season, rather they wanted to wait a week or more after the season ended, calm down and discuss what their next steps would be. The group has been together four years, been to four finals and won two titles, but faces a lot of questions about how to improve going forward.
LeBron already made the power move.
By opting out of his contract already he laid down the ground rules — you guys opt out and give Pat Riley some cap space to operate or I am going to check out my options and take the chance at a title wherever I go.
It is widely believed that LeBron and Bosh will take less money to stay in Miami, the question is the aging Wade who (like the other two) is owed $41 million over the next two years. His knees are fading fast and his role will diminish, he’s not getting another big deal. It is possible that Riley tries to sell him on a deal more like four years, $48 million which drops his rate per season by $8 million or more but gives him more years and guaranteed money.
You can bet all of that was discussed, and Riley will be informed.
The rest of us know the drama is going to play out for a while.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32