Jun 25, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
One of the more interesting things to watch during Thursday’s NBA Draft will be just how far Joel Embiid falls.
Embiid was projected to be the number one overall pick, before a foot injury that required surgery has the top two teams in Cleveland and Milwaukee reportedly ruling him out of consideration.
But the Sixers, at three, may not let him fall any farther.
According to ESPN.com’s Chad Ford in a podcast with Bill Simmons posted Tuesday afternoon, only Cleveland and Milwaukee had been given Embiid’s medical information.
Later Tuesday afternoon, an NBA source confirmed to CSNPhilly.com that the Sixers are also among the teams that have Embiid’s medical records.
The Sixers are reportedly interested in taking Embiid with the No. 3 pick despite his injury problems. They have a second lottery pick at No. 10.
Philadelphia, heading into year two of a self-proclaimed three-five year rebuild, would have no problem selecting Embiid if they believe he’s the best player available, even if he can’t contribute much this season. The team sat last year’s sixth overall pick Nerlens Noel for the entire year, even though he probably could have played a bit during the season’s last couple of months.
The Sixers have seven total picks in this year’s draft, so expect them to be active leading up to and during Thursday night’s main event.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28