Jun 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Last season I thought New Orleans was going to impress but injuries stalled out everything save for Anthony Davis’ impressive development. With this move, watch New Orleans to make a playoff push next year.
The Pelicans just got a roster upgrade and the Rockets are clearing cap space to go big game hunting as the result of a deal being finalized that sends center Omer Asik to New Orleans, something first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Pelicans are sending back a future (likely 2015) first round pick to Houston.
There are some details to be worked out, this could wait until after July 1 to be finalized so that the Pelicans have cap space (they could also make a draft-day trade to free up a little room)
I like this deal for the Rockets in the sense this is what they have to do to chase Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James as free agents this summer, to form their own “big three” with James Harden and Dwight Howard. All those starts require a lot of cap space — Asik is scheduled to make $8.4 million on the cap next season (his actual payout is closer to $15 million due to a poison pill in his offer sheet). The Rockets wipe that off the books, now also must find a taker for Jeremy Lin where they also take no money back.
I really like this for New Orleans.
The Pelicans want to play Anthony Davis at the four, he has the midrange game on offense and can be more of a come from the weak side shot blocker on defense (think Serge Ibaka when Kendrick Perkins plays). This pairing gives the Pelicans a potentially impressive defensive front line to pair with the backcourt rotation of Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 40
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23