Jun 25, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:30 pm: And it is official, the Dallas Mavericks have confirmed the trade.
UPDATE 5:45 pm: The two sides have reached an agreement in principle on this trade, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
It still must be formally approved by the league office, but the deal is in place.
4:40 pm: You know Phil Jackson needed to go big to change the Knicks roster, and with that maybe persuade Carmelo Anthony to stay in New York (and other big names to come).
Well, this is big. Not sure it helps keep Anthony in town but it’s big.
The Knicks are near a deal to send Tyson Chandler back to Dallas and Raymond Felton along with him, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Multiple other reports called the deal “close”.
It should be noted that Chandler is one of Anthony’s better friends on the Knicks roster.
As laid out this is a trade-off on the court for New York. On one hand, while Chandler had a rough last season he is still one of the NBA’s better rim protecting big men. They will miss his presence inside. However at the point Calderon is an upgrade over Felton — the triangle needs three point shooters and Calderon does that (44.9 percent last season), plus is a low turnover guy. Calderon plays smart, but is used to having the ball in his hands more, it will be an adjustment. Felton struggled last season in just about every way, so there is some addition by subtraction there.
Plus the Knicks get Wayne Ellington and more importantly Shane Larkin, who has promise.
The Knicks also save money. Chandler and Felton make a combined $19.4 million. Dalembert is set to make $3.8 million but can be bought out for $1.8 million. Calderon, Ellington and Larkin combined make just $11.5 million.
What the Mavericks get is a real center to put next to Dirk Nowitzki — they get the rim protecting big that was there when the Mavericks won the title in 2011. They need that in the West. Felton gets the chance to turn his career around under one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the game, one who will put him good positions to succeed.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38