Jun 25, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:30 pm: And it is official, the Dallas Mavericks have confirmed the trade.
UPDATE 5:45 pm: The two sides have reached an agreement in principle on this trade, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
It still must be formally approved by the league office, but the deal is in place.
4:40 pm: You know Phil Jackson needed to go big to change the Knicks roster, and with that maybe persuade Carmelo Anthony to stay in New York (and other big names to come).
Well, this is big. Not sure it helps keep Anthony in town but it’s big.
The Knicks are near a deal to send Tyson Chandler back to Dallas and Raymond Felton along with him, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Multiple other reports called the deal “close”.
It should be noted that Chandler is one of Anthony’s better friends on the Knicks roster.
As laid out this is a trade-off on the court for New York. On one hand, while Chandler had a rough last season he is still one of the NBA’s better rim protecting big men. They will miss his presence inside. However at the point Calderon is an upgrade over Felton — the triangle needs three point shooters and Calderon does that (44.9 percent last season), plus is a low turnover guy. Calderon plays smart, but is used to having the ball in his hands more, it will be an adjustment. Felton struggled last season in just about every way, so there is some addition by subtraction there.
Plus the Knicks get Wayne Ellington and more importantly Shane Larkin, who has promise.
The Knicks also save money. Chandler and Felton make a combined $19.4 million. Dalembert is set to make $3.8 million but can be bought out for $1.8 million. Calderon, Ellington and Larkin combined make just $11.5 million.
What the Mavericks get is a real center to put next to Dirk Nowitzki — they get the rim protecting big that was there when the Mavericks won the title in 2011. They need that in the West. Felton gets the chance to turn his career around under one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the game, one who will put him good positions to succeed.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 24
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 11
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 5
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0