Jun 25, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
If Carmelo Anthony learned one thing from how LeBron James handled his 2010 free agency, it should be to try to do it as under the radar as possible. LeBron had an ESPN truck and anchor parked outside his meeting. Dwight Howard learned the lesson and last year he had a number of teams come to him and pitch free agency but it was about as quietly done as may be possible with a superstar player.
Anthony reportedly wants the full “Dwight Howard treatment” in terms of being recruited, we’ll see how under the radar he can keep that process.
Already ESPN’s Chris Broussard is reporting his first meetings.
There’s nothing new there, all of those teams have been linked to Carmelo Antony before.
Both the Rockets and Bulls need to make a couple of roster moves to free up cap space to make a big offer to Anthony — close to a max from Houston, less from the Bulls although how much depends on if Taj Gibson can stay on the roster. Dallas’ pitch got a lot more interesting today — Anthony’s friend Tyson Chandler will be back in Big D, paired with Dirk Nowitzki, a combo that already won a title.
There will be other teams (the Lakers and maybe Clippers, for example).
Anthony may want to make a quick decision but he could be the second domino to fall after LeBron James. Teams such as the three above would like to see what LeBron decides to do before committing to Anthony.
But don’t expect him to wait too long after free agency opens to try to make a decision.
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10