Jun 25, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
If Carmelo Anthony learned one thing from how LeBron James handled his 2010 free agency, it should be to try to do it as under the radar as possible. LeBron had an ESPN truck and anchor parked outside his meeting. Dwight Howard learned the lesson and last year he had a number of teams come to him and pitch free agency but it was about as quietly done as may be possible with a superstar player.
Anthony reportedly wants the full “Dwight Howard treatment” in terms of being recruited, we’ll see how under the radar he can keep that process.
Already ESPN’s Chris Broussard is reporting his first meetings.
Sources: Carmelo Anthony will visit Houston, Dallas and Chicago once teams are allowed to meet with free agents on July 1—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) June 25, 2014
There’s nothing new there, all of those teams have been linked to Carmelo Antony before.
Both the Rockets and Bulls need to make a couple of roster moves to free up cap space to make a big offer to Anthony — close to a max from Houston, less from the Bulls although how much depends on if Taj Gibson can stay on the roster. Dallas’ pitch got a lot more interesting today — Anthony’s friend Tyson Chandler will be back in Big D, paired with Dirk Nowitzki, a combo that already won a title.
There will be other teams (the Lakers and maybe Clippers, for example).
Anthony may want to make a quick decision but he could be the second domino to fall after LeBron James. Teams such as the three above would like to see what LeBron decides to do before committing to Anthony.
But don’t expect him to wait too long after free agency opens to try to make a decision.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37