Jabari Parker believes Bucks will pick him No. 2 overall in NBA Draft

Jun 25, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT

Jabari Parker photo

NEW YORK – The Cavaliers are reportedly torn between selecting Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker with the number one overall pick in this Thursday’s NBA Draft. But Parker himself believes their decision may have already been made.

Speaking to reporters at the pre-draft media availability in Manhattan on Wednesday, Parker made it very clear that if Cleveland goes in another direction, he fully expects to be selected by the Bucks with the second pick based on what he was told when meeting with the team during the workout process.

“Yeah, I think so,” Parker said, when asked if he expected to be picked by the Bucks. “Because I had some comfort level with them, especially with them telling me that ‘we want you.’ I didn’t really get any answers from the Cavs, so I’m just going with what I’m certain with.”

Parker was pressed on the topic, and while he fell short of using the word “promise,” it was evident that he feels he won’t be falling below the second pick no matter what Cleveland decides.

“Like I said, I got that answer,” he said. “I got that fair assessment. They sat with me and said ‘oh, we’re going to go with you.’ I didn’t get that with the Cavs.”

Cleveland didn’t come out and tell Parker they wouldn’t select him, however, which leaves the door open at least slightly.

“They just didn’t make commitments,” Parker said of his conversations with the Cavaliers. “I think that they’re playing the safe side of things. They don’t want to say they’re all in too early, because they hold a high pick and have plenty of opportunities with other free agents. So you never know, it [could be] a really surprising draft.”

It was rumored following his workout with the Cavaliers that Parker tanked it, because he preferred to end up in Milwaukee instead. But he firmly and professionally denied that allegation on Wednesday.

“I think I have too much pride to just waste other people’s time,” Parker said. “I come from Duke, but most importantly, I come from a family with good values, and I don’t have time to just waste other people’s opportunities and the chances that I have in front of me. There’s going to be a lot of speculation and a lot of negativity, but I would be glad to look that person in the eye who wrote that stuff. And they can give me their assumptions.”

Parker was asked if he would be opposed to going to Cleveland, given the way his workout went and the way the organization was relatively non-communicative with him at the time.

“It would be a great opportunity too,” he said. “Anywhere that I’m going, I’m going there for a reason. If they pick me, I’m going to go on that stage, accept that hat and that opportunity.”

Parker, like the rest of the players projected to be lottery selections, seemed to be appreciative of and excited by the opportunity before him.

“Being a top draft pick is something that will go down in history,” he said. “One, two, three, four, five, even in the lottery. I think a lot of the guys — it’s safe to say that we’re glad to be in this position.”

1. saudishot - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I’ve been hoping the Bucks would pick this kid at 2 since the lottery draw.

2. mvp43 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

In other words……. please don’t select me Cleveland.

3. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Sure. Why would he not want to play with Kyrie Irvine, Tristan Thompson and Dionne Waters when he could play with a roster that has no one like Milwaukee

• divan22 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Way to expose your own ignorance. Larry Sanders, John Henson, Giannis Howeveryouspellit and Brandon Knight are all young and have nice upside.

Hilarious that you’d bring up Dion Waiters as if the Bucks don’t have anyone on his mighty level.

• bougin89 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Couldn’t agree more with your comment.

Who would you want more Tristan Thompson or John Henson? I’d go Henson everytime. If Sanders is healthy and focused(I have to admit that’s a really big IF at this point) he’s a solid defensive anchor. Giannis is the youngest player in the league and has already showing the potential being one of the better all around, versatile two way players in the league.

Waiters? Please…he’s OK if nothing else.

Kyrie is a very good piece that the Bucks can’t currently match but even he can’t drag the Cavs to the playoffs.

• antistratfordian - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Cmon, at least make an effort to spell his name. That’s kind of disrespectful. It takes two seconds to google and copy and paste ‘Antetokounmpo.’

• 88heatnation - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Who is Dionne Waters

• mvp43 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM

The Bucks have some talented players and I think their struggle was more due to injuries than anything else. I see Milwaukee as an up and coming team for these reasons:

1. New ownership not afraid to spend
      2, New arena
      3. Young talented players such as Giannis, Henson & Knight
      4. Sanders is a knuclehead, but he’s a hell of a shot blocker & rebounder.
      5. Solid front office.
      6. The Senator is no longer calling the shots.
      7. Summerfest- ’nuff said….

Cleveland is sort of a dumpster fire right now with the ownership and front office. If I were a top draft pick, Milwaukee is the more stable franchise.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

don’t forget the hot chick either

4. csbanter - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Parker is doing his best to ensure the Cavs won’t take him. He should just come out and say Cleveland sucks that will seal the deal.

*** For the record Cleveland doesn’t suck they have great fans like any other city.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I’ve never bad mouthed the Cleveland fans… it’s the owners and the front offices…

The Factory of Sadness did not come about due to the fans…

The fans deserve much better…

Owner drives team out of town in the middle of the night…

Gilberts letter to Lebron in 2010 when he left had some strong words about Lebron…

Oh guess what? it is STILL on the Cavs website too…

I feel sorry for fans in Cleveland… they deserve better…

5. bougin89 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM

With Wiggins off the board I’m not complaining one bit about Parker at 2.

• antistratfordian - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM

At least not now… update us in March.

• bougin89 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

K

• antistratfordian - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I’m sure Parker will be fine, and he’s a good guy (at least as far as I can tell) – coachable – easy to root for.

I would prefer Wiggins, but I wouldn’t be complaining much if I ended up with Parker at this point.

Now, of course, in March I might say, “see, I told you he was a scrub.” I’ll try not to do that if he is.

• bougin89 - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Yeah, I definitely would have preferred Wiggins as well. He wasn’t an option so I would have picked Parker if it was my pick to make. The last thing we need is an injury prone center that coudl very well be Greg Oden 2.0. Hopefully Parker is as good as advertised and it appears he’s happy to be in Milwaukee, at least he’s saying all the right things.

6. mvp43 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Im excited about the Bucks!!!!!!!!!!!

First time in years. Milwaukee may be small, but its a great city by a great lake.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM

a great Great Lake…

Milwaukee is fun… Spent 3 months there in the late summer and early fall of 2006 for work.

We had fun…

7. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Wow. You would think that reading comments here that the Bucks played in the finals. They had the WORST record in the NBA. Their is a reason for that. They stink badly.

• mvp43 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Ya……… but there’s hope.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

yeah, hot chicks always inspire hope…

one writer on this website included her in a big three for the team…

• Great Caesar's Ghost - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM

ALL of the lottery teams suck, that’s how they got there. Do you think San Antonio and Miami should be picking 1 and 2 as well? LOL.

• theblackrook - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Really, cause we see something different. We see a team that had injuries to 3 starters, we see a team wth a new coach who had to play 4 1st or 2nd year players in heavy rotation. We see Brandon Knights (22 Years old) growh, we see Giannias Antetokounmpo’s (19 years old) potential, we see Henson (23 Years old) and Sanders (25 Years old) Defensive prowess…. we see a young team who is a piece away from having a group to grow with. Way more potential than any team not the named 76ers.

8. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

In related news Lebron told his agent to contact the Bucks cause he wants to play with Knight and the other stiffs mentioned above lol. The Bucks could only manage 15 wins. Their is no upside.

• saudishot - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM

And they are destined to stink for the next decade because teams NEVER turn around quickly in the NBA. Oh wait…

9. bealwithit - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Good talented young man. Hope he has a lot of success in the league.

10. locator08 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Dion is a hell of a ballplayer..him and Kyrie couple with a incompitent hc..we actually played BETTER with kyrie hurt and Dion at the point..Kyrie wont be in Cleveland past thursday i believe

11. locator08 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM

bougin..its obviius u havent watched too many Cavs games..Hensons going to be ok..nothing spectacular..but TThompson avgs 15-12 for the final months..unfair comparison..and Tristan has NOT peaked at all yet

12. mungman69 - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Milwaukee is great in the Summer but not so good in the winter.

13. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Larry Sanders, John Henson, Giannis Howeveryouspellit and Brandon Knight lol. And this foam at the mouth has the nerve to call me ignorant. These stiffs were good enough to get 15 wins.

14. Great Caesar's Ghost - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Lebron would be a good backup to Giannis.

15. boiler72 - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM

seasickcecil – Jun 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

_________________________________________

There is no upside in your grammar, punctuation, or spelling, either.

16. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I

boiler72
    Jun 25, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
    seasickcecil – Jun 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

_________________________________________

There is no upside in your grammar, punctuation, or spelling, either Oh great an English teacher. This is a sports forum. Sports is obviously something you know nothing about . Please find a forum where you can post intelligently. In other words get lost.

17. seasickcecil - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I

boiler72
    Jun 25, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
    seasickcecil – Jun 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

_________________________________________

18. JT - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:10 PM

The LeBron curse is real for Cleveland.. The Bucks suck but he would be the man and he would be close to home, win win for Parker ..

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches