Giannis Antetokounmpo grew two inches this past season

Jun 25, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

The Greek Freak is getting bigger.

Giannis Antetokounmpo had people tuning in on League Pass to watch the Milwaukee Bucks play (no small feat by the end of last season), because he could at any moment do something off the charts athletically. Once the Bucks season started to spiral down the team wisely went from bringing the young and raw Antetokounmpo along slowly to letting him learn on the job. That led to some crazy highlights.

We could see the strides, we could see Antetokounmpo getting better. What we didn’t see was him getting taller.

Bucks GM John Hammond spoke with the media Tuesday and said this, via Brew Hoop:

“I think Giannis is going to be a multiple position player someday. When he came last September he was 6’9″ and 190 [lbs.], and today he’s almost 6’11” and 217 lbs. I think Giannis is a guy that’s going to be able to play, at his size, he’s going to play some small forward and he’s going to play some power forward someday. He’s another multiple position guy, and I think that helps this process.”

Damn.

We’ll see how good Antetokounmpo ultimately becomes, there is a long way to go with him. But a player that size with those skills… we’re all going to be watching a lot more Bucks basketball in the coming years.

1. unxpexted1 - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Hopefully this type of spurt doesn’t hurt him, as some people that go through this end up having bone issues in there knees or ankles.

• sumkat - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I wouldn’t say that. The only thing strange here is that he was already 6’9. It’s not exactly an oddity for a kid to still be growing at 18-19

• spursareold - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Yeah, most of those kids aren’t taking an 80 game NBA pounding on those open bone plates.

2. sumkat - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM

wow, this kid truly is a freak.

on a side not, do you think this will help his brother draft stock? If he is still growing at this rate, no reason his brother wouldn’t

• calkinsrob - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM

is his brother a sure draft pick in the draft? or is there a chance he may not get picked? I dont know much about him.

• sumkat - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Neither do I, which is why I didn’t realize his brother is actually older than him (he’ll be 22 on July 27), and not as big (6’5), but he still has outstanding reach (7 Ft)and almost a 40 inch vertical (31.5 standing).

I don’t think he’s going to go in the first, or anywhere near it unless the Bucks want to get both brothers, but just about any 2 round mock I’ve seen has had him in there somewhere. A few early and late 2nd round, mostly mid 2nd round (40-50)

I see no reason why a team wouldn’t use a 2nd rounder pick on him. Especially one of the teams that have a few of them

3. norcalkingsfan - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Greek Freak pullin’ a Paul George. This guy has so much potential.

Also, thanks for posting a story that doesn’t involve Melo, Lebron, or the recently defeated Heat.

4. antistratfordian - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

KD style. Hopefully his game grows too.

5. ProBasketballPundit - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM

They said Paul George grew from 6’8″ to 6’10” too but I never saw any of the official listings change. I guess he looks a little taller than LeBron… but it’s not like you ever see these guys with their back against each other standing straight.

6. mungman69 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I grew two inches after my 18th birthday so that growth spurt is possible. When will he stop?

7. mvp43 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He’s a few years away and still learning the game, but i’ve seen him play a bunch and he has big time upside. Chad Ford mentioned yesterday in an interview that if he could go back and re-draft last year, he would choose Giannis #1 overall. That may be a slightly strong statement but says something about his potential. Pairing him with Jabari Parker would be awesome.

• joshm5683 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Hah actually its more of a statement of how bad that draft was. He really would most likely be the 1st pick. Every other pick has struggled or been hurt or both. Even MCW in Philly was not that spectacular and did more stat stuffing on a bad team that impacting the game in a positive way.

8. nickjackalson - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM

wish I could grow like a pro

• money2long - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Order some extenz

• nickjackalson - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

2long, huh?

• kb2408 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Dude, you almost made me shed a tear…Almost.

• billtetley53 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM

You only shed tears when:

People rip on the lakers.
        When tou can’t handle yourself in a debate
        When you hero retires

9. csbanter - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Giannis and Jabari the Bucks are on the verge of getting reinstated into the NBA.

10. jerze2387 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

No big deal. Jason Collins grows 2 inches every time he steps in the locker room

11. theripster30 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Giannis will develop into a perennial all-star in about three or four years. Since the draft isn’t until tomorrow, I might be saying this prematurely, but this is the first time I’ve been excited to be a Bucks fan in a long time. There is already some nice young talent in place, the new owners clearly have a vision, and a new arena is on the horizon. As long as they don’t blow it tomorrow night at the draft, there is absolutely no reason not to be optimistic for the future. Should be fun to watch this team climb the ranks over the next several years! Fear the Deer!

12. bealwithit - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM

He is proof that NBA GM’s stink.

A lot of teams are kicking themselves for letting him drop that far.

13. 00maltliquor - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Yeah, the Bucks need to have Wiggins fall in their lap at #2. Jabari would be logjammed at the SF with Giannis. Giannis ain’t a SG no more (I never really felt like he was anyways, he belings at SF)

• bruiserbrigade - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Or they could take a look at Exum.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM

They could but they won’t. By all accounts it sounds like their taking whoever is left over out of Parker/Wiggins and it’s looking like it’s going to be Parker.

I mean, if it were me I’d trade down to the 76ers 3rd if/when Wiggins gets picked #1, but for most people the thinking is that he’ too much of a risk at #2 when u got a Parker available. But I’d take Exum for what it’s worth, just because I wouldn’t want to disrupt that Antetokounmpo/Henson/Sanders frontcourt without seeing how they roll for 2 years at least.

14. saint1997 - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

He and Jabari are a great fit together, especially with Henson down low. They can move Sanders now and just focus on their backcourt

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches