2014 NBA Draft Preview: Charlotte Hornets

Jun 25, 2014, 6:59 PM EST

Arizona v Michigan Arizona v Michigan

Picks: 9, 24, 45

Needs: A starting power forward, better shooting. Starting PF Josh McRoberts opted out, and although Charlotte would probably like to keep him, he’s in line for a raise. Cody Zeller is waiting in the wings, so the Hornets might prefer just to elevate him rather than draft a replacement.

Charlotte made its mark last season defensively, but its offense stagnated at times due to spacing issues. Al Jefferson is an excellent pivot with the craftiness to operate in limited space, but everyone would flow better with another 3-point shooter on the floor.

Trade possibilities: It seems chic to say any team with multiple first rounders will trade one, but why? Teams don’t want too many good, young prospects on cheap contracts? The Hornets could make a trade – their two first-round picks gives them more possibilities – but there’d be nothing wrong with standing pat.

Predictions: No playoff team has drafted this high since 2010, when the Jazz picked Gordon Hayward at No. 9 (receiving the Knicks’ pick via the Suns). Thanks to landing a plush draft pick from the Pistons, Charlotte has real potential to make a major step this offseason.

Doug McDermott gets mentioned enough at No. 9 that I don’t believe it’s coincidence. It seems the Hornets will attempt to fill their shooting needs with their first pick, which means Nik Stauskas could also be a possibility.

With its second first rounder, Charlotte has reportedly promised center Mitch McGary – leaving the possibility the Bobcats draft two Michigan Wolverines (Stauskas and McGary).

1. saint1997 - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I was pretty high on McDermott going in, I could almost see him being a scorer in the latter-stages-of-his-career Paul Pierce mould. Still I think unless they are convinced MKG could play the 2 I could still get behind the Hornets drafting Gary Harris, who I see as the biggest sleeper in this draft and a guy who could play in a Bradley Beal style

• tomshoe - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I’m not feeling McDermott. As much as I loved him in college, he’s suffering from “Non-Athletic White Guy Syndrome.” I remember how Jimmer Fredette turned out, and that makes me wary now.

• dacapt704 - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I’d prefer to take Stauskas over McDermott

2. JT - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Either Slick Nik or McBuckets will probably be the pick.

3. qdog112 - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

No, McDermont is not the guy. Reminiscent of Sean May(way too slow), Rex Chapman (wasn’t ready) and Adam Morrison (the guy was crying on the floor). Trying to get a white guy for box office is stupid. Draft the best player.

• dacapt704 - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I feel you qdog..ppl who don’t live down here don’t know that the team actually admitted (previous administration) that they drafted Morrison for ticket sales, same reason they drafted Felton/May in 2005 bc they were Tarheel products.

I believe in the new regime with Cho running the show, although the Jeff Taylor pick isn’t working out due to injury and the MKG > Beal was very questionable on draft day (to me anyway) and really appears to be the wrong pick now…I still believe they’ll make the right moves tomorrow.

Scoring guard, wing player and rebounding are needs for sure. Kemba needs help in the backcourt and MKG is virtually useless on offense. Not sure who’ll be available at 9, hard to predict freshmen and foreign players whom you’ve never seen against the comp over here. Either way…GO HORNETS!!

• bparmalee - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM

MKG over Beal was down right stupid considering what other teams were willing to trade for Beal. Lets not forget drafting Bismack early in the 1st round ahead of much more talented players (Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Tobias Harris, Kenneth Faried…and several others). The Bobcats/Hornets have been a horror show and if they draft another “good guy” that’s “coachable” with “hustle” oh and lets not forget “has heart” then those tickets will stay $20 for lowers on ball nights.

4. unfly - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Doug McDermott was the highest scorer in college but you have to consider that he played in an offense tailored directly for him with his dad as the coach. Frankly he looks like Steve Novak or 6’9 Jimmer…easily my favorite pick to be a huge bust.

5. bruiza2k - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM

You called them “Bobcats” in the last paragraph. Put a dollar in the jar…

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches