Steve Nash has no interest in becoming an NBA head coach

Jun 24, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

2012 Steve Nash Foundation Showdown 2012 Steve Nash Foundation Showdown

Veteran point guards jumping straight into head coaching positions has become a hot trend as of late, with Jason Kidd taking the Nets job last season and Derek Fisher signing up for the gig with the Knicks under the tutelage of Phil Jackson this summer.

Steve Nash has one year remaining on his contract with the Lakers, and has been very honest about his reasons for wanting to try to play next season, despite his recent lingering health issues. But when his playing days are finished, might he have a similar interest in pursuing a career in coaching?

“Not really,” Nash said Monday, on a conference call with reporters to promote his annual charity soccer game, which will take place in New York on Wednesday. “I’m not necessarily interested in coaching at this point in my life. I would never say never, but it’s not on my radar right now.”

Nash plans to play in the event, which could be viewed as a positive sign as far as his health is concerned after dealing with consistent nerve irritation that followed the leg fracture he suffered early in the 2013 season. But given the off and on nature of how it has affected him, he’s taking a more cautious approach.

“I feel great right now,” Nash said. “I’ve been able to be without limitations as far as my training. I’ve tried to obviously not overdo it so I can allow that nerve to settle down perhaps, or be less irritated. And it seems to have worked so far, but I would hate to say, oh yeah, this is what it’ll be like once I join the rigors of the NBA schedule. But I’m doing everything I possibly can to prepare to succeed in that environment.”

As for the game itself, it’s being held for the seventh straight year, with proceeds benefiting Educare and child abuse research and prevention. Past events have included NBA stars like Joakim NoahTony ParkerChris Bosh and Klay Thompson, along with international and MLS soccer pros like Thierry Henry.

“I think what’s cool about the event is that for the soccer players it’s fun to meet the basketball players, and for the basketball players it’s fun to play soccer with soccer players,” Nash said. “There’s kind of a unique motivation for guys to get involved, and everyone who comes and plays has a blast because it’s a small environment right in the middle of Manhattan. It’s not only a great atmosphere, but also a unique experience for both soccer and basketball players.”

Latest Posts
  1. Derrick Rose dismisses injury concern after blah showing against Slovenia

Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto

Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup

2. World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold

Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.

3. Report: Leandro Barbosa reaches deal with Warriors

Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.

4. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

5. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

6. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

7. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

8. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

9. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

10. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

11. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

12. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

13. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches