Steve Nash has no interest in becoming an NBA head coach

Jun 24, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

2012 Steve Nash Foundation Showdown 2012 Steve Nash Foundation Showdown

Veteran point guards jumping straight into head coaching positions has become a hot trend as of late, with Jason Kidd taking the Nets job last season and Derek Fisher signing up for the gig with the Knicks under the tutelage of Phil Jackson this summer.

Steve Nash has one year remaining on his contract with the Lakers, and has been very honest about his reasons for wanting to try to play next season, despite his recent lingering health issues. But when his playing days are finished, might he have a similar interest in pursuing a career in coaching?

“Not really,” Nash said Monday, on a conference call with reporters to promote his annual charity soccer game, which will take place in New York on Wednesday. “I’m not necessarily interested in coaching at this point in my life. I would never say never, but it’s not on my radar right now.”

Nash plans to play in the event, which could be viewed as a positive sign as far as his health is concerned after dealing with consistent nerve irritation that followed the leg fracture he suffered early in the 2013 season. But given the off and on nature of how it has affected him, he’s taking a more cautious approach.

“I feel great right now,” Nash said. “I’ve been able to be without limitations as far as my training. I’ve tried to obviously not overdo it so I can allow that nerve to settle down perhaps, or be less irritated. And it seems to have worked so far, but I would hate to say, oh yeah, this is what it’ll be like once I join the rigors of the NBA schedule. But I’m doing everything I possibly can to prepare to succeed in that environment.”

As for the game itself, it’s being held for the seventh straight year, with proceeds benefiting Educare and child abuse research and prevention. Past events have included NBA stars like Joakim NoahTony ParkerChris Bosh and Klay Thompson, along with international and MLS soccer pros like Thierry Henry.

“I think what’s cool about the event is that for the soccer players it’s fun to meet the basketball players, and for the basketball players it’s fun to play soccer with soccer players,” Nash said. “There’s kind of a unique motivation for guys to get involved, and everyone who comes and plays has a blast because it’s a small environment right in the middle of Manhattan. It’s not only a great atmosphere, but also a unique experience for both soccer and basketball players.”

1. mogogo1 - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Nash is refreshing in how he honestly answers questions. It sometimes gets him criticized, like when he said a couple years back that he didn’t know if they were going to get out of their funk, etc. but it’s sure nice to not have every single guy sound like a politician.

2. antistratfordian - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Radiohead fans don’t become coaches.

3. bucrightoff - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Hopefully he never plays soccer with Luis Suarez…

4. boogiefan87 - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

That’s really too bad, I think most would agree that he’d be an excellent coach.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM

It won’t take long for both the Knicks and the Lakers to begin to court him…

Give it another 5 to 7 seasons of losing records and about 4 or 5 coaches for each team…

Hey, they can and DO fire a coach 5 games into the season so they can have two coaches per year…

• boogiefan87 - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM

In all seriousness though, I feel like Cuban would be among the first to try hiring Nash.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

The Bulls had three coaches in one year as recently as 2007.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I agree that Nash would be a great coach…

5. luz56 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

What makes anyone believe he could be a HC???

• boogiefan87 - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Hmmm, I don’t know, perhaps because he’s one of the players that most understood the game throughout NBA history. His basketball intangibles and awareness are tough to contend with.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM

And he’s an intelligent, veteran player who, as a point guard, literally ran his team. Nash will certainly coach the Canadian Olympic team if no other.

6. luz56 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

biogiefan487….. I think it takes a little more than that.. Just ask all the other greats in the game that failed

• 22yearsagotoday - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Such as Larry Bird.

• jkirby317 - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Larry Bird was a HUGE success as an NBA ______. Literally say any NBA job and he was great at it. He was an NBA Hall of Fame player. Three times named MVP of the NBA. Considered a top 5 player all-time. He won three NBA championships in Bean Town twice being named MVP. He coached the Indiana Pacers to an NBA finals in 2000. He won coach of the year. Larry Bird is the only person in NBA history to win an NBA championship, a finals MVP, a League MVP, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year.

I know you are not trying to knock Larry Legend…

• beavertonsteve - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM

As a player I think even Larry would admit he was a huge success. Try asking him if he has been a huge success as a coach or executive and you may find yourself on the bad side of a snarl. I’m guessing Larry’s evaluation of himself in those roles would be short of successful.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches