Jun 24, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
If Serge Ibaka had a healthy calf, it is possible the Oklahoma City Thunder make the NBA Finals this season. (And then it is possible they fall to the Heat and change a whole lot of free agency dynamics, but let’s not go that far down the hypothetical yellow brick road.)
Spain is the two-time Olympic runner-ups to the United States at the Olympics and the second best team in the World. On their home hardwood they post a particular threat with a roster that includes Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Ibaka as the front line. They also have Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez and more quality international players to round everything out.
Spain and the USA will be the clear favorites entering the World Cup. However, if you’ve watched any of the soccer World Cup, you know that on that stage upsets happen. Nothing is certain (although basketball tends to follow form more than soccer).
Come the late summer you can be sure PBT will have a lot of World Cup coverage. For now, just know Ibaka is playing.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11