Jun 24, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
If Serge Ibaka had a healthy calf, it is possible the Oklahoma City Thunder make the NBA Finals this season. (And then it is possible they fall to the Heat and change a whole lot of free agency dynamics, but let’s not go that far down the hypothetical yellow brick road.)
Spain is the two-time Olympic runner-ups to the United States at the Olympics and the second best team in the World. On their home hardwood they post a particular threat with a roster that includes Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Ibaka as the front line. They also have Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez and more quality international players to round everything out.
Spain and the USA will be the clear favorites entering the World Cup. However, if you’ve watched any of the soccer World Cup, you know that on that stage upsets happen. Nothing is certain (although basketball tends to follow form more than soccer).
Come the late summer you can be sure PBT will have a lot of World Cup coverage. For now, just know Ibaka is playing.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6