Jun 24, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
If Serge Ibaka had a healthy calf, it is possible the Oklahoma City Thunder make the NBA Finals this season. (And then it is possible they fall to the Heat and change a whole lot of free agency dynamics, but let’s not go that far down the hypothetical yellow brick road.)
Spain is the two-time Olympic runner-ups to the United States at the Olympics and the second best team in the World. On their home hardwood they post a particular threat with a roster that includes Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Ibaka as the front line. They also have Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez and more quality international players to round everything out.
Spain and the USA will be the clear favorites entering the World Cup. However, if you’ve watched any of the soccer World Cup, you know that on that stage upsets happen. Nothing is certain (although basketball tends to follow form more than soccer).
Come the late summer you can be sure PBT will have a lot of World Cup coverage. For now, just know Ibaka is playing.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29