Jun 24, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
While some talks did take place they have fallen apart, reports Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com. That’s the right move by the Kings, but it makes me a little sad.
3:48 pm: Maybe no contract is untradable, but Josh Smith’s deal should be standing right next untradable with his arm around it. Smith is owed three more years, $40.5 million fully guaranteed. Thanks again for that, Joe Dumars.
Like maybe Sacramento, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
That’s some odd thinking out of Sacramento: “I want to recruit Rajon Rondo so let’s get a guy who will take touches away from DeMarcus Cousins and take more awkward threes than Rudy Gay. And he costs a lot over the long term, all the better!”
Smith can put up points, that’s not the question, he averaged 16.7 points a game last season, it’s that he took 16 shots a game to get there. It’s his shot selection that drives coaches crazy — look at his shot chart from last season. Notice 30.2 percent of his shots came from where he is a good shooter and nearly 70 percent from where he is not.
That said, a lineup of Rondo, Ben McLemore, Gay, Smith and Cousins would be wildly entertaining. Potentially in a train wreck kind of way, but entertaining.
I think this trade idea is a long shot at best, but it was too good to ignore.
If you’re looking for a more sure thing Kings trade, both Stein and other league sources say Kings are shopping the No. 8 pick around.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7