Jun 24, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
While some talks did take place they have fallen apart, reports Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com. That’s the right move by the Kings, but it makes me a little sad.
3:48 pm: Maybe no contract is untradable, but Josh Smith’s deal should be standing right next untradable with his arm around it. Smith is owed three more years, $40.5 million fully guaranteed. Thanks again for that, Joe Dumars.
Like maybe Sacramento, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
That’s some odd thinking out of Sacramento: “I want to recruit Rajon Rondo so let’s get a guy who will take touches away from DeMarcus Cousins and take more awkward threes than Rudy Gay. And he costs a lot over the long term, all the better!”
Smith can put up points, that’s not the question, he averaged 16.7 points a game last season, it’s that he took 16 shots a game to get there. It’s his shot selection that drives coaches crazy — look at his shot chart from last season. Notice 30.2 percent of his shots came from where he is a good shooter and nearly 70 percent from where he is not.
That said, a lineup of Rondo, Ben McLemore, Gay, Smith and Cousins would be wildly entertaining. Potentially in a train wreck kind of way, but entertaining.
I think this trade idea is a long shot at best, but it was too good to ignore.
If you’re looking for a more sure thing Kings trade, both Stein and other league sources say Kings are shopping the No. 8 pick around.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 38
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 14
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 29
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64