Jun 24, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
While some talks did take place they have fallen apart, reports Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com. That’s the right move by the Kings, but it makes me a little sad.
3:48 pm: Maybe no contract is untradable, but Josh Smith’s deal should be standing right next untradable with his arm around it. Smith is owed three more years, $40.5 million fully guaranteed. Thanks again for that, Joe Dumars.
Like maybe Sacramento, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
That’s some odd thinking out of Sacramento: “I want to recruit Rajon Rondo so let’s get a guy who will take touches away from DeMarcus Cousins and take more awkward threes than Rudy Gay. And he costs a lot over the long term, all the better!”
Smith can put up points, that’s not the question, he averaged 16.7 points a game last season, it’s that he took 16 shots a game to get there. It’s his shot selection that drives coaches crazy — look at his shot chart from last season. Notice 30.2 percent of his shots came from where he is a good shooter and nearly 70 percent from where he is not.
That said, a lineup of Rondo, Ben McLemore, Gay, Smith and Cousins would be wildly entertaining. Potentially in a train wreck kind of way, but entertaining.
I think this trade idea is a long shot at best, but it was too good to ignore.
If you’re looking for a more sure thing Kings trade, both Stein and other league sources say Kings are shopping the No. 8 pick around.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0