Jun 24, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The Kings have their customary lottery pick to use in the upcoming NBA Draft, but using the eighth overall pick isn’t likely to provide the immediate help that a team under new ownership is looking for.
Sacramento traded for Rudy Gay last season in order to try to begin to win now, and it appears as though adding more proven veteran talent is the plan instead of accumulating more questionable rookie prospects.
For that reason, the Kings appear likely to trade their first round pick, and they reportedly have more than one offer already in place.
The Sacramento Kings are fielding offers from three teams for the No. 8 pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, sources with direct knowledge told ESPN on Monday.
Sources said the Kings have two deals that could be done prior to Thursday’s 2 p.m. ET trade deadline to change the draft order and one would be a draft night deal, depending on which players are available when the Kings select.
The three deals would return multiple draft picks and a veteran player to the Kings for the No. 8 pick.
Sacramento is among the least desirable situations for free agents to consider in the entire league, so trading for quality players is the only way to provide the type of upgrades the roster so desperately needs.
This move seems like a smart one depending what player may come back in return, and another team could probably use the help the number eight pick could provide more than the Kings can at this current stage of their rebuilding process.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13