Jun 24, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Kevin Love’s camp is pushing hard to get their man moved sooner rather than later. And to a destination of his choosing.
Minnesota Timberwolves president Flip Saunders is in no such rush. You can picture him at his desk with his feet up, sipping a single malt Scotch neat, Mad Men style.
Saunders isn’t going to settle for less than Klay Thompson from the Warriors in a deal (at least not right now). He seems to shrug off the Bulls offer (reportedly the No. 16 and 19 picks in this draft, Taj Gibson and Tony Snell). Minnesota doesn’t have to move Kevin Love until the trade deadline and seem willing to wait for an offer they really want.
Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune spoke to Saunders Tuesday.
Fishing metaphors are perfect in the land of 1,000 lakes — that is speaking to the fan base. Along those lines, Saunders is just waiting for the right fish to fry.
More and more the feeling around the league is Minnesota will wait. Maybe until after July 1, maybe close to training camp, maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
That said, things can change quickly come draft night. Especially if somebody blinks.
Just don’t bet on that being Flip Saunders.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27