Jun 24, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Kevin Love’s camp is pushing hard to get their man moved sooner rather than later. And to a destination of his choosing.
Minnesota Timberwolves president Flip Saunders is in no such rush. You can picture him at his desk with his feet up, sipping a single malt Scotch neat, Mad Men style.
Saunders isn’t going to settle for less than Klay Thompson from the Warriors in a deal (at least not right now). He seems to shrug off the Bulls offer (reportedly the No. 16 and 19 picks in this draft, Taj Gibson and Tony Snell). Minnesota doesn’t have to move Kevin Love until the trade deadline and seem willing to wait for an offer they really want.
Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune spoke to Saunders Tuesday.
Fishing metaphors are perfect in the land of 1,000 lakes — that is speaking to the fan base. Along those lines, Saunders is just waiting for the right fish to fry.
More and more the feeling around the league is Minnesota will wait. Maybe until after July 1, maybe close to training camp, maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
That said, things can change quickly come draft night. Especially if somebody blinks.
Just don’t bet on that being Flip Saunders.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 9
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15