Jun 24, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Cavaliers don’t know which player to choose No. 1, though I think they’d be getting a quality asset either way.
But Cleveland’s options, though narrowed to those two prospects, aren’t so simple. Orlando’s trade offer might be even better than previously reported.
the Cavs do have some interest in the Magic’s offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick.
That’s an intriguing offer.
With the No. 4 pick, the Cavaliers would guarantee one of themselves Wiggins, Parker, Joel Embiid or Dante Exum. In essence, it’s really Embiid or Exum. The Magic, like Cleveland, would certainly take Wiggins or Parker with the No. 1 pick. The Bucks would take the other at No. 2.
No. 12 could land a quality piece too. It’s high enough where a highly rated player – Nik Stauskas? Garry Harris? – could be available. James Young wouldn’t be a bad fallback option.
Afflalo is an increasingly capable scorer with strong defensive skills. He’s an upgrade over Dion Waiters, though for the small-forward-starved Cavs, Afflalo and Waiters could combine to make an undersized wing combination.
This really comes down to how the Cavaliers rate Wiggins/Parker and Embiid/Exum. Unless Cleveland sees a huge drop between those groups, the Magic’s offer is definitely good enough to make the Cavs consider it.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37