Jun 24, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Cavaliers don’t know which player to choose No. 1, though I think they’d be getting a quality asset either way.
But Cleveland’s options, though narrowed to those two prospects, aren’t so simple. Orlando’s trade offer might be even better than previously reported.
the Cavs do have some interest in the Magic’s offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick.
That’s an intriguing offer.
With the No. 4 pick, the Cavaliers would guarantee one of themselves Wiggins, Parker, Joel Embiid or Dante Exum. In essence, it’s really Embiid or Exum. The Magic, like Cleveland, would certainly take Wiggins or Parker with the No. 1 pick. The Bucks would take the other at No. 2.
No. 12 could land a quality piece too. It’s high enough where a highly rated player – Nik Stauskas? Garry Harris? – could be available. James Young wouldn’t be a bad fallback option.
Afflalo is an increasingly capable scorer with strong defensive skills. He’s an upgrade over Dion Waiters, though for the small-forward-starved Cavs, Afflalo and Waiters could combine to make an undersized wing combination.
This really comes down to how the Cavaliers rate Wiggins/Parker and Embiid/Exum. Unless Cleveland sees a huge drop between those groups, the Magic’s offer is definitely good enough to make the Cavs consider it.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80