Jun 24, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Cavaliers don’t know which player to choose No. 1, though I think they’d be getting a quality asset either way.
But Cleveland’s options, though narrowed to those two prospects, aren’t so simple. Orlando’s trade offer might be even better than previously reported.
the Cavs do have some interest in the Magic’s offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick.
That’s an intriguing offer.
With the No. 4 pick, the Cavaliers would guarantee one of themselves Wiggins, Parker, Joel Embiid or Dante Exum. In essence, it’s really Embiid or Exum. The Magic, like Cleveland, would certainly take Wiggins or Parker with the No. 1 pick. The Bucks would take the other at No. 2.
No. 12 could land a quality piece too. It’s high enough where a highly rated player – Nik Stauskas? Garry Harris? – could be available. James Young wouldn’t be a bad fallback option.
Afflalo is an increasingly capable scorer with strong defensive skills. He’s an upgrade over Dion Waiters, though for the small-forward-starved Cavs, Afflalo and Waiters could combine to make an undersized wing combination.
This really comes down to how the Cavaliers rate Wiggins/Parker and Embiid/Exum. Unless Cleveland sees a huge drop between those groups, the Magic’s offer is definitely good enough to make the Cavs consider it.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32