Jun 24, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Cavaliers don’t know which player to choose No. 1, though I think they’d be getting a quality asset either way.
But Cleveland’s options, though narrowed to those two prospects, aren’t so simple. Orlando’s trade offer might be even better than previously reported.
the Cavs do have some interest in the Magic’s offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick.
That’s an intriguing offer.
With the No. 4 pick, the Cavaliers would guarantee one of themselves Wiggins, Parker, Joel Embiid or Dante Exum. In essence, it’s really Embiid or Exum. The Magic, like Cleveland, would certainly take Wiggins or Parker with the No. 1 pick. The Bucks would take the other at No. 2.
No. 12 could land a quality piece too. It’s high enough where a highly rated player – Nik Stauskas? Garry Harris? – could be available. James Young wouldn’t be a bad fallback option.
Afflalo is an increasingly capable scorer with strong defensive skills. He’s an upgrade over Dion Waiters, though for the small-forward-starved Cavs, Afflalo and Waiters could combine to make an undersized wing combination.
This really comes down to how the Cavaliers rate Wiggins/Parker and Embiid/Exum. Unless Cleveland sees a huge drop between those groups, the Magic’s offer is definitely good enough to make the Cavs consider it.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5