Warriors adding black? 76ers adding Ben Franklin logo? (images)

Jun 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Stephen Curry, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner Stephen Curry, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner

It looks as if RealGM has gotten its hands on some new NBA logos – for the Warriors and 76ers.

It’s unclear whether the teams are already set on the or whether these are just prototypes. So, keep that in mind before overreacting.

The Warriors are moving from Oakland to San Francisco, so that explains the SF. You might also see that “Golden State” replaced by “San Francisco” at some point.

Philadelphia is paying homage to its revolutionary roots.

The Warriors’ Golden Gate Bay Bridge logo is the NBA’s best logo. The black doesn’t ruin it, but it only distracts from what’s already awesome.

I love the idea of Benjamin Franklin dribbling a basketball, but why does he look so mean? I would have greatly preferred a jovial Ben.

1. volcom2143 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I hope I never see the Ben frank jersey . As a Philly fan , I’m not liking it .

• antistratfordian - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM

You are no fan of Philadelphia.

• jkirby317 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM

but you would be if LeBron signed there…

• antistratfordian - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I’m already a fan of Philadelphia. It’s so rich with history. And I love that Cuban restaurant there…. Alma de Cuba.

• sixerstrong - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM

How would you know?

• stayhigh_247 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I would be ready to force a trade if i had to wear a Ben Franklin jersey, thats just wrong on so many levels.

2. Seth Hamlin - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

My beloved Dubs logo still sucks though.

Seriously, FIRE the person who said Copperplate Gothic was the right typeface to use.

And that yellow font with the blue outer stroke makes me want to vomit. it looks ok when the yellow is in a field of blue or vice versa, but those secondary logos are all hideous color choices.

makes me miss the days when we thought THIS was terrible….http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Golden_State_Warriors.svg

• Seth Hamlin - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM

and the W isn’t centered in the circle, why is it touching on the top, but not on the bottom?

• Mahjeed Marrow - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Because…that’s how Ws work?

• fraudguy - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM

The issue is that it is centered, but that the top is wider than the bottom. If the graphic designer didn’t want it touching, they could have shrunk the W or put it lower in the circle.

• kobracola - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM

You’re crazy, the new Bay Bridge logo is spectacular. That said, I hate the “W” and “SF” secondary logos in the twitter link above. They’re extremely dull. Golden State Warriors is the perfect name. I don’t get why we want to change that to [City] Warriors. We were individual and had a different team name. I’m just going to keep calling them the Golden State Warriors. Golden State paints a wonderful picture.

3. chiadam - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM

The Ben Franklin logo is the worst logo in the history of the universe.

And stop adding black to every single thing.

4. nfceastisbeast - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM

If it comes with a championship or two, I’ll take it.

5. engineil - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

For the record, the Warriors’ logo features the Bay Bridge, not the Golden Gate.

6. 4thqtrsaint - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

The Warriors do not have the best logo. Its rather bland if you ask me.

7. drs76109 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I’m a Philly fan and I like Dribblin’ Ben. Reminds me of Phil and Phyllis.

How about a dribblin’ Wm Penn?

• antistratfordian - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM

1776. Wrong time period for Penn.

8. divan22 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM

“The Warriors’ Golden Gate logo is the NBA’s best logo.”

It is a sweet logo but that’s not the Golden Gate Bridge in the logo. It’s the eastern span of the Bay Bridge.

• Dan Feldman - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Learn something every day.

• antistratfordian - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Well they need to change that. The Golden Gate profile is more recognizable and everyone is going to assume it’s the Golden Gate bridge anyway.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM

The old logo had the Golden Gate Bridge in it though. I personally prefer that logo, but the new one is cool too.

9. darrkkomens - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM

No Ben Franklin Horrible!!! No William Penn horrible.., it’s that colonial thinking that has our city behind and under developed.. And that’s just as bad as a cheesesteak with legs logo dunking through a Pretzel hope.. No no no

• zukny1 - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Philadelphia is home to some of the greatest history in this nation. How can you be from Philly and not respect that.

10. mcmystery76 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM

The black golden state jerseys will be sweet

11. stexan - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Looks more like Dick Cheney than ol’ Ben. Which would explain the expression…

12. muathjam21 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM

*San Francisco Warriors

13. eugenesaxe1 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Digging the Franklin design, snoring at the bridge. And the Est. 1962 just looks tacky. Is that to tell us how long they haven’t mattered or what?

14. kingperk123 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

How many times is the warrior’s gunna change there logo?

15. zinger92 - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM

a ben franklin flat rim would be pretty sweet.

• zinger92 - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Brim*

16. chaseutley - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Using Ben Franklin in the Sixers logo is a cool idea, but the examples above are a poor execution of said idea. This guy looks like a Scooby Doo villain.

• infieldhit - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Something about the “watch out!” pose with his hand just makes it terrible. I wouldn’t be surprised if the design firm had a ton of ideas, and even they were surprised that one got picked.

17. elcaminobilly - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM

The Ben Franklin logo was used slightly at the All-Star game when it was in Philadelphia, early 2000s. Not sure if it was an official logo or not, but Topps included it on some of their trading cards.

I do NOT like the idea of the Warriors in black. Every team wears black these days, or at least it seems like it. Different color jerseys are better.

• elcaminobilly - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

You can see the logo here, on an Elton Brand card: http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/27629/cid/3104645/2002-03-Stadium-Club—All-Star-Coverage-Relics-ASEB-Elton-Brand

• pdub923 - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Wow! Flashback. I was SO into basketball cards in the ’90s!

18. phillynation1986 - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Why is Ben Franklin dribbling a basketball? I don’t get it.

19. thekidfromapt7 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM

That SF logo has been around since the new identity came out. I don’t think this is a sign that they will most definitely be renamed the San Francisco Warriors. They just recolored an existing logo.

20. jfcorral26 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Now I am a diehard warriors fan and I think its unfair for everybody in the bay area especially for us oaklanders who have supported the warriors throughout all the losing and the tragedy known as the dark era 1995 through 2006! I have learned to cope with the fact that they might move to sf to a new arena and attract superstar caliber players thats fine but the name should stay the same or changed to BAY AREA WARRIORS!!! The team represents so much more than sf. I know ppl from Hayward, Novato, petaluma tracy, san jose, dublin, pleasanton so on and so forth who love the team because it represents the bay area (golden state) not frickin sf. Another thing dunring their stay in oakland they never changed their name to OAKLAND WARRIORS which would have been killer!! Not even for a season to try it out but thats ok because im not selfish lets share with the whole bay area ok now oakland is a bball mecca beleive it or not!! Just like NY. So much talent has rose from da OAK just to name a few bill russell, j kidd, the glove payton, leon powe, brian shaw and I might be missing a few but all have become champions!!! The only thing sf has produced that comes to my mind is drew gooden and some ppl might say who the f is that lmao!! So therefore if the warriors change their name to sf warriors I am becoming a kings fan!!! Sorry but im ticked off at that clumsy ass idea of sf warriors I could use some more demeaning words but ill just go with clumsy! Let me say once more I am ok with them moving to sf but dont change the friggin name!!!

21. jfcorral26 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM

I have a lot of built in frustration over this change as u all can see

22. twpguy1964 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:56 AM

As a 40 year fan of the 76ers, That Ben Franklin logo is TERRIBLE! My 8 year old granddaughter can design a better logo

23. ogbobbydeas - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I hope bald old white guys dont get offended by the Ben Franklin Logo and protest

24. pourman - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

As an old guy I’m offended by dribbling.

25. kvt7280 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM

If they can sign Lebron James, then I’d do the Klay Thompson + David Lee and future first for Kevin Love

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches